A female body can react to failures in a state of health with pulling pains in the lower abdomen. True, this is not always a sign of the onset of any disease, but nevertheless it requires mandatory visits to the doctor to examine and identify the cause of the unpleasant symptom.
So why pulls the lower abdomen, as in menstruation? Is the disease of internal organs or pregnancy always the cause of these pains? We will look at the situation in more detail.
Pulls the lower abdomen as during menstruation, and after them
To say that many pulling pains can be a sign of impending menstruation is probably not worth it. We can only clarify that such problems are characteristic mainly for women who have not given birth. The aching loin, headache, weakness, swelling, and mood changes are often associated with this symptom - these are clear signs of PMS. Women are familiar with them perfectly and, as a rule, know the means to improve their condition.
By the way, after menstruation, this unpleasant symptom can also be observed. This is due to hormonal imbalance. The predominance of prostaglandins leads to the appearance in the female body of pain both during and after menstruation. They are often added with a headache, nausea, sweating, and sometimes vomiting.
Pulls the lower abdomen, as in menstruation, with inflammatory processes
But these pains can also signal inflammation, impaired blood supply, or, for example, stretching of a capsule of an internal organ in a woman.
- For example, when apoplexy (hemorrhage) in the ovaries begins to hurt in the lumbar region and in the lower abdomen. With menstruation, symptoms increase, spreading to the rectum. To this is added nausea, vomiting, and sometimes loss of consciousness.
- When inflammation of the appendages of pain, initially minor, increase and, in the absence of adequate medical care, inflammation can lead to peritonitis.
- But if the lower abdomen pulls, the menstruation has passed quite recently, and the pain, starting at the navel, goes down lower and lower, then most likely you have an inflammation of the appendix. It makes itself felt quite often in this way, and not by “classical” spasms in the right side.
- The described sensation can also cause an ovarian cyst, urolithiasis, cystitis, tumors in the pelvic area, hernia, and other diseases.
As you understand, all these situations require immediate medical examination and assistance, so it is simply unwise to delay a visit to a specialist.
Delayed menstruation, pulling the lower abdomen - what is it?
The delay in the onset of menstruation with the discussed symptom in addition will alert the woman, since the main reason for this, as a rule, is the onset of pregnancy.
In the process of fertilization of the egg and at the time of its attachment to the uterus may be uncomfortable sensations. But note: it is uncomfortable, not pronounced nagging pain. If there is also an ache in the lumbar region, dizziness, clouding of consciousness, and abundant grayish vaginal discharge are signs of a possible miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.
From all of the above, you can make an unambiguous conclusion: if you pull the lower abdomen, as in menstruation, then it must make a woman go to a doctor. After all, the causes of the pain may not only be serious, but even dangerous! Therefore, do not pull, do not wait, what will end the next painful attack - your health is in your hands!
Lower abdominal pain during menstruation: causes
Let's examine in detail why there are severe pains in the lower abdomen during menstruation. There are several reasons for this.
In medicine, pain syndrome in women is divided into several stages:
- Pain in premenstrual syndrome (PMS). We all know well what is at stake. During this period, a feeling of heaviness appears in the lower abdomen, aching or any other pain signaling each lady to replenish the supply of pads in her purse, as well as to be ready for the onset of menstruation,
- Pain right at the time of menstruation. They are especially strong on the first day,
- Pain in the lower abdomen after menstruation.
The most acutely painful sensations during menstruation are young girls who have recently entered reproductive age. Severe abdominal pain during menstruation is experienced by about half of adolescents. Among older women, this figure is much lower. Also, strong emotional sensations are more often experienced by emotional and thin girls. They are not caused by any diseases or pathologies of the reproductive system. When the menstrual cycle is established, the pain syndrome disappears.
A large number of women cannot give an answer to the question “Why do pains appear in the lower abdomen before menstruation?”, Especially under the condition that the young lady did not torture herself with excessive physical exertion, was not subjected to stress, properly fed, rested, led a normal regular sex life, inflammatory processes in her body are also absent.
In this situation, most likely, the pain appeared due to hormonal surge. Without being a doctor, it is extremely difficult for a girl to distinguish between pains caused by such a surge from pains caused by an existing, but not yet discovered, disease. Considering all the subtleties and complexities of the device of the sexual system of a woman, each representative of the beautiful half of humanity must regularly, twice a year, undergo a routine examination by a gynecologist.
It is important to identify the pathology at an early stage of its development. Many women think that having the right lifestyle and having one or two sexual partners in their entire life, they can protect themselves from gynecological problems. It is for this reason that they postpone the trip to the clinic for a long, and sometimes even a very, very long box. Sadly, a chaste and correct lifestyle only reduces the risk of infectious diseases or unwanted pregnancies. Do not forget about a number of other pathologies, in particular about uterine myoma.
Despite all modern advances in medicine, the true cause of the development of pathology is not fully known. There are only a number of factors that, according to doctors, can provoke the development and growth of a tumor.
We must not forget about the state of the ecological background in the place of residence, and overwork, nerve shocks and other aspects of our daily life. All the negative emotions, depressions that we experience inside ourselves, not allowing us to go out, can one day result in a disease.
Therefore, it is important to be responsible to oneself for the state of health. If you have had no lower abdominal pain during menstruation over the past years, but now they appear with an enviable constancy - do not be lazy, do not be afraid, undergo a gynecologist examination. Seek help from fibroid treatment clinics to make sure that you are healthy or to get qualified treatment in case of diagnosing the pathological process.
Let's return to the main signs of premenstrual and menstrual pain. First of all, it is a cramping pain syndrome, capable of giving back and lower back. Such pains usually disappear on the second day of menstruation. We may also experience weakness, nausea, upset stomach, bloating, and, of course, an unstable emotional state. Often, women increase irritability, nervousness. The cause of all these signs is a hormonal imbalance during menstruation, associated with the release of prostaglandins. These hormones cause uterine spasm.
If the stomach hurts during menstruation from month to month, this may indicate the development of such diseases as uterine fibroids or adenomyosis. To exclude or confirm such diagnoses with the passage of subsequent adequate treatment, should be examined.
The aching pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation is often experienced by women who have undergone abortions. Also, they are able to occur in young mothers during the first menstruation after birth. If the pain syndrome acquires a regular persistent nature, then the development of endometriosis is not excluded.
Abdominal pain after menstruation are a sign of diseases such as vulvitis, endometritis, adnexitis. To prevent the development of complications, it is important to consult a gynecologist in time.
I would like to separately note the problem of menstruation. Its cause may be excessive or too little weight. In this case, help is needed not only by a gynecologist, but also a nutritionist and an endocrinologist. Only after everything has been adjusted can the menstrual cycle be normalized.
Lack of menstruation, as a result of hormonal imbalance, can be observed in women who have experienced a strong emotional shock. The problem can be solved with the help of sedatives.
Lower abdominal pain in women may occur after heavy physical exertion. It's about weight lifting or intense workouts. Young ladies better to abandon bodybuilding and choose for themselves a more suitable sport, for example, Pilates.
Uncontrolled intake of certain medications has an extremely negative effect on the menstrual cycle. Lower abdominal pain may occur due to prolonged use of antidepressants, anti-tuberculosis drugs, as well as improperly chosen contraceptives. Especially negative on women's health affects the use of emergency contraceptive drugs.
Causes of menstrual irregularities, accompanied by abdominal pain, may be heredity, climate change, abortion, gynecological curettage and any mechanical damage to the organs of the female reproductive system.
Abdominal pain and irregular menstruation can cause toxic substances into the body. We are talking about poisoning in the workplace. In particular, inhalation of vapors of various chemical compounds can lead to "breakdowns" in the normal operation of the girl's genitourinary system. Also adversely affecting the menstrual cycle, smoking, alcohol abuse, substance abuse and taking narcotic drugs.
Lower abdominal pain during menstruation and how to eliminate them
For most women, the easiest way to get rid of lower abdominal pain during menstruation is to take painkillers. However, the tablet will relieve pain for a short time. What to do if the pain returns quickly? There is a way out, you need to follow some simple guidelines:
- Adjust diet - refuse salty, spicy, spicy and fatty foods,
- Limit or eliminate the consumption of coffee and tea
- To live an active lifestyle. A long stay in a lying or sitting position leads to stagnation in the pelvic organs, which subsequently causes lower abdominal pain during menstruation,
- One of the simplest and most effective methods of dealing with pain during menstruation is a hot water bottle. Putting it to the lower abdomen, you will feel that the pain begins to subside,
- Make a massage. Circular light movements of the arm in a clockwise direction will reduce tension in the abdominal region and the pain in the lower abdomen will gradually subside
- Lie down in a fetal position. This simple way helps a lot of women to get rid of lower abdominal pain during menstruation. You must lie on your side, pull your legs up and relax your body as much as possible. As a rule, after about ten minutes the spasm passes,
- Stay warm. You can take a warm shower (not hot). The method is effective only if the woman is healthy. With pathologies of the urogenital system, seemingly harmless at first glance, a water procedure can cause severe bleeding,
- Avoid hypothermia. It is important to dress for the season. Short skirts should be postponed until summer. Hypothermia leads to the development of various kinds of inflammatory processes. In this case, women often have pain in the lower abdomen.
- Do Pilates or Yoga. Regular exercise stimulates ovulation, promotes resorption of adhesions, relieves tension from the muscles of the uterus during menstruation, and relieves pain in the lower abdomen.
If the pain is very severe, then in this case it is recommended to take an anesthetic drug. “No-shpa” helps very well. It is better to always have a plate or a jar of this drug in your purse.
Do not abuse strong painkillers, causing a number of side effects.
The most important thing is to be attentive to your health. If you feel that the general state of health during menstruation worsens, there are severe pains in the lower abdomen, despite the fact that previously these phenomena were one-time in nature, sign up for a visit to a gynecologist.
You can make an appointment at any time convenient for you by phone, in person or via electronic communication. Before going to the clinic, consultation by e-mail is possible.
Pregnancy as a cause of pain
The first and obvious sign of pregnancy - the delay of menstruation. Immediately after fertilization, significant changes in the hormonal background occur in the woman's body. For the first 3 months, all processes are controlled by progesterone. Its increased content in the woman's body causes transformations, which are commonly called the first signs of pregnancy. Among them, one of the main places is occupied by pain in the abdomen. Pulls the lower abdomen. In this case, the pain may indicate not very favorable pregnancy.
On average, ovulation occurs in the middle of the cycle. Then for 2 weeks the hormonal background significantly changes, the organism prepares for the future pregnancy. All these processes woman, in fact, can feel. But does not always attach importance to them. For example, the process of release of the egg from the follicle is marked by pulling pain in the ovaries and lower abdomen. Selection changes. After 10–14 days, the fertilized egg implants into the uterine cavity. In this case, the integrity of the lining of the uterine lining is somewhat violated. The egg cell is literally implanted in the uterus. Well attached, the fruit begins its development. In this case, there is also a nagging pain in the lower abdomen, and there may be particles of blood in the discharge.
However, ovulation may not go according to plan. For example, closer to the end of the cycle. Then, until the onset of menstruation, the body does not have time to completely restructure. Hormonal background can not ensure the onset of menstruation, but the egg in the uterus is unreliable. Then there is a pulling pain in the lower abdomen. Increasing pain may indicate a process of premature rejection. Or on an ectopic pregnancy.
Every healthy woman in a year can have 1-2 cycles when there is no ovulation. This is considered normal, as the body rests. Women after 35 years of such cycles without ovulation may be about 6. In this case, menstruation will usually come late. Because hormonal changes. However, there is a nagging pain in the lower abdomen. To determine the anovulatory cycle at home, you can use the method of measuring basal temperature. In the walls of the clinic is determined by ultrasound.In this case, a woman has a long process of researching her own body. If there are no other disturbing symptoms, it pulls the lower abdomen as during menstruation, you can wait a little for them to start. After all, it can pull the stomach because of premenstrual syndrome. To exclude pregnancy, you can conduct a test on the first day of the delay.
Starting sex and changing sexual activity
Full sex life affects all vital systems in a woman’s body. First of all on the nervous system, sexual. This is already enough for a woman to feel well. After all, the nervous system is responsible for all the processes of the menstrual cycle, for the amount of hormones. The relaxed state of the nerve endings reduces pain during the activity of the uterus, with spasm. Irregular sex life, on the contrary, annoys, depresses, causes tension of the nervous system. Unfavorable long break in intimate life and for genitals. After all, this is the way the body of a woman works, that a sexual partner is needed to continue the race. And it does not matter whether a pregnancy occurs after this or not. Loses the menstrual cycle, menstrual irregular, pulls the lower abdomen.
Discomfort occurs at the beginning of sexual activity. The first sexual intercourse entails damage to the hymen. There are mucous discharge from the vagina, pulling the lower abdomen. The second and several following, are also accompanied by pain.
Aborted pregnancy is a stress for the whole body. The hormonal background is changing dramatically. Then there are several possible scenarios.
- Immediately after the abortion, there is a slight discharge of blood, the lower abdomen pulls, as during menstruation. Then the discharge disappears, the next menstruation comes within 30 days, it may be slightly delayed.
- After abortion, discharge ends in 1–2 days. And after 3 days, begins to pull the lower abdomen, there is another menstruation. This is also normal, as the uterus is cleansed.
- After an abortion, discharge does not stop during the week, there is pain in the abdomen, lower back, the body temperature rises slightly, intestinal upset is observed. Pain may indicate the presence of inflammatory processes. And they can occur due to infection. In this case, you should immediately seek help from a doctor at the first sign of inflammation.
Abortion can change the feeling in the next menstrual cycle, with a favorable outcome, everything is getting better in a month.
Pain in the lower abdomen occurs not only because of menstruation or diseases of the genital organs, but often it is.
- endometritis - inflammation of the vaginal mucosa,
- endometriosis - the growth of the endometrium outside the uterus,
- cystitis - inflammation of the bladder,
- sexually transmitted diseases - diseases that are sexually transmitted,
- thrush - change the vaginal microflora,
- candidiasis - vaginal dysbacteriosis,
- anomaly of the genital organs - for example, the bend of the uterus,
- myoma is a benign tumor,
- cervical erosion - change of part of the uterine lining,
- intestinal dysbiosis - change in the organ microflora with subsequent inflammation, irritation of the intestinal mucosa.
This is not the whole list of diseases that provoke pain, as with menstruation. All signs are compared with vaginal discharge. So, when thrush appears sour smell, cheesy discharge, pain when urinating, sexual intercourse. In the presence of sexually transmitted diseases, the discharge is abundant, yellow, greenish, brown. There is also pain during urination and intercourse. Unpleasant smell, itching, burning genitals. A sign of inflammatory disease - clear discharge with blood, bowel disorder, pain in the lumbar region, peritoneum. With a disease such as uterine fibroids, erosion, the first signs - a violation of the menstrual cycle. In most cases, all the symptoms of gynecological diseases are similar. To establish the cause should be a woman to be examined. Pain can indicate both the onset of menstruation and serious problems in the body.
Why pulls the abdomen at the beginning of pregnancy?
Let's imagine that the egg met with the desired sperm and together they formed a zygote. Now the zygote will advance with the fallopian tubes in order to reach the uterus and consolidate on its wall for further growth and development. The path to a future home takes an average of 6-12 days (these periods may differ for different women). Most often, fertilization occurs during the period of ovulation, which falls approximately on the 10-12th day of the cycle (variants are also possible here). Thus, it turns out that the fertilized egg reaches the uterus at the end of the cycle, when there are several days left until the next expected period. And in most cases, the woman feels a pulling pain in the lower abdomen - either because of impending menstruation, or because of the "housewarming" of the egg. This is an abbreviated approximate ideal scenario of events.
In order to “take root” in the uterus, the egg prepares a spot for itself: it scrapes the epithelium cells as it were, making it a nest for planting. This process is called implantation and may be accompanied by some signs that even now, before the onset of menstruation, they will prompt a woman about the conception. It is mainly about pulling pains in the lower abdomen: your uterus is experiencing the invasion of a "foreign body" and a violation of the integrity of the epithelium. It is likely that in the process of attaching the egg to the wall of the uterus, small spotting may occur, which the woman often mistakenly perceives as the premature onset of menstruation.
So, a few days before the next cycle begins, when a woman is already conceived, a woman may feel a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, which is often accompanied by minor bleeding (cream, pink, reddish or brown). If she does not suspect that she has become pregnant, then she will most likely take this phenomenon for premenstrual syndrome. Moreover, many other signs of pregnancy in the earliest periods are also similar to sensations before menstruation: soreness and increased nipple sensitivity, irritability, nausea, rejection of certain odors, changes in appetite and mood swings.
That is why to delay a pregnancy is very difficult to recognize. Moreover, a woman can have many other causes in the abdominal pain: stress, hormonal therapy, infection, inflammation, trauma, the effect of sexual intercourse or gynecological examination, and others.
However, pulling pain in the lower abdomen can be a sign of not only pregnancy, but also the threat of its termination. A fertilized egg is a foreign body in the female body, from which the uterus is trying to get rid of, starting to shrink. Nature has created a natural mechanism for preserving pregnancy in the early stages - the immune functions of the female body are somewhat reduced, giving the future fetus a chance to gain a foothold and survive. But victory does not always remain for the egg, which can prevent a number of adverse factors. If she is expelled at the earliest possible time, then the woman may not even know that a miscarriage has occurred - she just starts another menstruation.
If the pregnancy is already several weeks and you know about its existence or the likelihood of this is very high, and the pulling pain in the lower abdomen has a pronounced cramping character, is given to the lumbar region or is accompanied by bleeding, it is urgent to go to the hospital to save the pregnancy.
Causes of Menstrual Pain
Pain - a signal to the body about the changes and violations. It cannot be ignored because it is a symptom of diseases of the reproductive and urinary system. However, not all cases of pain are a cause for concern.
THE NOTE! Acute pain is a serious reason to call an ambulance. It can occur due to inflammation of the cyst or appendicitis even during menstruation. In this case, you must refrain from taking any medication and wait for the doctor to arrive. Self-treatment is dangerous.
How to reduce pain during menstruation
THE NOTE! To determine the exact cause of pain during menstruation can only specialist. However, for this you need to know not only the nature of the pain, but also the location.
Video - Painful menstruation
Cystitis often worsens during menstruation. There are sharp and nagging pains in the abdomen, which are aggravated during urination. There may also be a feeling of heaviness in the lower abdomen and severe aching pain in the lumbar region. It is worth considering that cystitis has other characteristics that make it easy to recognize:
- burning and itching in the vagina,
- severe redness and irritation
- increased body temperature
- headaches and dizziness.
THE NOTE! The aggravation during the period of menstruation is due to the fact that, due to the outflow of blood, the spread of infection occurs several times faster. Also, menstrual blood becomes a good environment for the development of bacteria while neglecting the rules of hygiene.
What is cystitis?
It is easy to relieve symptoms of cystitis, but treatment can take a long time. If you let the disease take its course, it can turn into a chronic form. Most often, a general urinalysis and ultrasound of the urinary organs are prescribed to make an accurate diagnosis. Cystitis is treated with antibacterial drugs. Additionally, a diet is prescribed at the time of treatment, excluding spicy and fatty foods from the diet.
THE NOTE! During treatment, it is necessary to refuse to take a bath and wash only under the shower, otherwise the cystitis can worsen. Water temperature should be no more than 38-39 degrees.
Inflammation of the appendages
Pain intense in nature. When inflammation of the appendages occurs acute, pulling or aching pain. It starts to bother 1-2 days before the beginning of the month and stops on the second day of menstruation. In some cases, leaves at the end of menstruation. Other symptoms are also observed:
- itching and burning in the vagina,
- increased body temperature (up to 39 degrees),
- abundant or, on the contrary, scanty periods,
- pain and discomfort when urinating.
THE NOTE! Inflammation of the appendages - an infectious-inflammatory disease. It occurs due to hypothermia, colds and stress. It can also develop against the background of sexually transmitted infections.
Schematic representation of the inflammation of the appendages.
The pain is localized in the lower abdomen on the left and right side. Manifested with acute inflammation of the appendages. If you ignore the symptoms, the disease will eventually become chronic.
However, the most dangerous is considered a hidden form. In this case, there is no evidence of disease. Then the inflammation of the appendages is diagnosed using ultrasound and laboratory tests.
Treatment occurs on the basis of antibiotics, aimed at the destruction of pathogens of the disease. To enhance the effect prescribe candles. You must also follow the diet prescribed by the doctor and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Intolerable pain and heavy discharge are the main signs of endometriosis. Scanty periods during this disease are extremely rare. A few days before the menstruation there is pain in the lower abdomen, which gives to the back. In addition, there may be a brown discharge. There are other signs of the disease:
- irregular cycle
- big delays
- urination problems,
What is endometriosis?
During menstruation, pains become strong and constant. Basically, they have a cramping or aching character, but their intensity is different. This reaction is due to excessive rejection of the endometrium and damage to the blood vessels.
THE NOTE! Endometriosis rarely happens in women taking hormonal drugs.
Accurate diagnosis is based on research. Endometriosis is diagnosed by ultrasound, computed tomography and laparoscopy. After the examination, you can determine the method of treating the disease. Only two methods:
- hormonal treatment,
- surgical intervention.
THE NOTE! Endometriosis passes after pregnancy and childbirth. However, during this disease it is very difficult to get pregnant. If this happens, doctors recommend not to abandon the child. However, it should immediately exclude an ectopic pregnancy.
The occurrence of acute and unbearable pain in the ovaries during menstruation is the main sign of a cyst. Pain can be permanent and periodic. They can occur during any period of the cycle, but they become more acute during menstruation and ovulation.
Localization of pain depends on the site of the cyst. Both right and left ovary can hurt, as well as both. Tingling and throbbing can also be felt. But there are other symptoms:
- large monthly delays
- pain during intercourse,
- disorders of the urinary system (painful urination),
- abdominal growth and asymmetry,
- hirsutism (facial hair growth).
Schematic image of ovarian cyst
THE NOTE! It is not the cyst itself that is dangerous, but torsion of its legs or rupture. Therefore, it is important to identify a cyst in time and begin its treatment.
Ovarian cyst is easily detected by ultrasound. Small formations can be cured with the help of hormonal drugs. Large and numerous cysts are surgically removed. To avoid surgery, it is necessary to identify a cyst at an early stage, before complications begin. Do not cure medication:
- numerous educations
- large cysts (5-10 cm),
- cysts discovered shortly before menopause
- cysts that appeared during menopause.
During this illness, the pain lasts until the last day of the month. As a rule, the intensity only increases each time. At the initial stage, there are nagging and aching pains that, with the complication, acquire an acute cramping character.
Uterine fibroid classification
The pain is felt not only in the lower abdomen, but also gives to the back. It can also spread throughout the back before menstruation and in the early days. In addition, breast sensitivity is greatly increased. Also, when uterine myoma is observed:
- dark brown discharge before, during and after menstruation,
- cycle reduction
- a significant increase in the duration of menstruation up to several weeks,
- copious bleeding (rarely scanty),
- the presence of clots in the discharge.
THE NOTE! A common cause of fibroids is hormonal failure. Increased production of estrogen, female hormones, leads to the formation of a tumor.
In some cases, it is possible to notice myoma during a pelvic examination. It is also detected using ultrasound, hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, endometrial biopsy and laboratory tests. It is treated by medication. Prescribed course of hormonal drugs. However, surgery may be necessary to fight large tumors.
Mild pain at the beginning of menstruation is normal. As a rule, they pass during the first two days of the cycle. But acute pain is a cause for concern. Especially with additional symptoms. In this case, it is necessary to consult a doctor to exclude the presence of infectious-inflammatory and chronic diseases.
Like this article?
Save to not lose!
If pulling the lower abdomen before menstruation, this may indicate that menstruation will begin soon. This is the so-called premenstrual syndrome or its other name is PMS.
Other symptoms of PMS:
- aching lower back pain
- constant fatigue and weakness
- the appearance of edema,
- dizziness or headache
- irritability and aggression,
- frequent mood swings.
When pulling the stomach after menstruation, the reason may be a change in the hormonal background in the woman’s body.
This period is characterized by the predominance of prostaglandins, with the result that the pain occurs not only during menstruation, but also some time after them.
Ovulation or the release of a mature egg occurs approximately on the 14th day before menstruation with a 28-day cycle.
Ovulation is characterized by symptoms such as:
- clear mucous discharge from the vagina,
- increase in sexual desire
- increase nipple sensitivity.
If there are nagging pains like during menstruation, but before their onset even more than a week or so, the woman is probably ovulating. And the discomfort is a reaction to the exit from the fried eggs of the germ cell.
In most cases, the pain focuses more on the right or left side, where the process occurs.
If a woman has a delay, pulls the lower abdomen as during menstruation, you should think about the likely pregnancy. The development of the embryo in the uterus leads to stretching of its muscles, which causes pain.
The reason for early pregnancy can be a sharp change in hormonal balance.
If a woman does not know about her position, but she has a lower abdomen, and there is no menstruation, although they should be, you need to do a pregnancy test or have a blood test for HCG levels.
A negative test result or low levels of hCG, combined with pain, in the presence of an active sex life - may indicate an ectopic pregnancy. You should consult your doctor to avoid consequences.
With a confirmed pregnancy, the pain may indicate a threat of termination. And in the presence of bleeding, you must call an ambulance and immediately go to the clinic.
Gynecological diseases and infections
If conception is excluded, for ovulation is not the time, and the lower abdomen and lower back pulls both during and after menstruation, it is possible that the woman has problems in the gynecological field.
The reasons may be as follows:
- inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs (endometriosis, endometritis, adnexitis, and others),
- the presence of benign tumors (ovarian cyst, uterine myoma),
- infectious diseases that are sexually transmitted (chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc.)
The diagnosis in this case is done only by the doctor. For the correct diagnosis should pay attention to the associated symptoms:
- general well-being of a woman
- the presence of vaginal discharge,
- vaginal discomfort, redness, burning, itching,
- pain when urinating,
- Body temperature,
- presence of nausea and vomiting.
All these problems require timely treatment to the doctor and appropriate treatment. Otherwise there is a risk of developing dangerous and serious complications.
Uterine fibroids can cause lower abdominal pain
When a woman pulls the lower abdomen and lower back as during menstruation, you should pay attention to the presence of vaginal discharge:
- Brown discharge in the middle of the cycle, accompanied by pain at the bottom, can appear in women taking oral contraceptive preparations. This is the effect of hormones coming from outside.
- White vaginal discharge often indicate the development of thrush. This disease has a fungal nature, another name is candidiasis. Discharges often have a cheesy consistency.
- unbearable itching of the vaginal mucosa,
- redness and itching
- mucosal redness,
- deterioration of general well-being.
What to take with pain during menstruation? Read in the article about the causes of pain in women and girls during menstruation, taking painkillers and the effectiveness of folk remedies.
Why does the stomach ache during the delay of menstruation? Information here.
Pulling or aching pain may occur after the completion of sexual intercourse. Such a symptom may be a variant of the norm.
Sexual contact is always a mini-injury for the delicate mucous membrane of the female vagina. And if the intercourse was stormy, the injury could be more severe. This may indicate a small bloody or cinnamon spotting after sex.
Pain can be non-gynecological nature. So can bowel disease. And for acute signs, appendicitis should be excluded.
In most cases, problems with the stomach of a woman require an appeal to a gynecologist, examination and further therapy. If the symptoms constantly recur, you can not postpone the visit to the doctor.
Etiology of pain during menstruation.
The phenomenon of menstruation in the weaker sex is a consequence of the most difficult interactions of reproductive hormones.
Their degree of presence varies at different times of the menstrual cycle, which is 28 days in length, then decreasing, then increasing.
The work of hormones for women invisible, except for the days of menstruation.
Its course in different representatives of the fair sex individually. Pain during menstruation is quite common and is called algomenorrhea.
The pain of menstruation is poisoning the lives of many women, regardless of race. Malaise is individual manifestations during menstruation:
- some women feel unnatural discomfort in the lower abdomen. But they do not cause any particular complications.
- Some representatives are very dependent on pain, trying to relieve pain with painkillers.
The strength of the pain, its type depends on the physiological specifics of the reproductive system.
Often the pain is not a pathology. But nagging pain in the lower abdomen, which entail severe consequences and the inability to endure them, require the help of a doctor.
The gynecologist will recommend a comprehensive examination to determine the factors of pain.
Algomenorrhea according to experts is the primary and secondary. The second type is characteristic of pathologies flowing in the organs of the small pelvis:
- anatomical modifications of the uterus,
- excess of prostaglandins, which causes cramping of the uterine wall and contraction of blood vessels,
- limited degree of enkephalins, endorphins,
- increased pain intolerance,
- luteal phase deficiency, which is, in fact, that the corpus luteum produces little progesterone.
While the first to this has nothing to do. It starts, as a rule, in girls emotional, thin, a year after the first menstruation.
The more knowledge about the natural occurrence of pain, the easier the mental state and physical tolerance:
Pulling pains in the lower abdomen and lumbar region during menstruation are the result of long and abrupt contractions of the uterus. This activity of the uterus is associated with the production of prostaglandin hormones.
They contribute to contractions in order to reject the uterine lining of the uterus - the endometrium, which is prepared to receive a fertilized egg.
In essence, these cramps are childbirth without the existence of a fetus. The envelope leaves, blood is secreted, and spasms cause pain. Their intensity depends on the level of prostaglandins. This explains why the stomach hurts below.
Pathologies in the development of the reproductive system can cause abdominal pain, pulling, with abundant secretion of blood:
- fibrosis of the uterus,
- cysts, tumors,
- inflammation of the genitals
- a consequence of previously suffered diseases of the reproductive system,
During the monthly deficiency of trace elements: calcium, magnesium in the body of a woman serves as a push of pain.
Hereditary specificity, which is transmitted from generation to generation, may be an explanation for the occurrence of abdominal pain during menstruation.
Heredity is manifested not only in painful menstruation, but also in pathologies. The impact of negative living conditions:
- impaired blood flow in the pelvis due to physical inactivity,
- emotional stress
- unbalanced diet and other factors.
How to reduce discomfort during menstruation
Abdominal pain during menstruation - the reason for going to a gynecologist. Only the doctor according to the results of the examination will be able to confirm or deny the factor of diseases in the pelvic organs.
The absence of abdominal pathologies is a good sign. Therefore, simple recommendations, perhaps not known to all women, can relieve nagging pain in the abdomen:
- A clockwise massage in a circular motion in the lower abdomen relieves the tension of the peritoneum, which will reduce the pain for the time being,
- stomach allows for the removal of spasms, using heat. To use it, you need to be 100% guaranteed to be sure that there are no pathologies in the pelvic area. You can use a moderately warm shower, bathroom, heating pad on the lower abdomen. Water should not be hot, so as not to increase bleeding. The duration of the procedure with warm minutes is 15. a glass of hot tea will relieve internal tension of organs, warm, relax for a while and relieve unpleasant sensations,
- rest using the fetal position. You can just lie down, curled up in the embryo, posture on the side, legs as much as possible on the stomach. This posture allows you to relax the stomach, which in turn, menstruation,
- pulling pain during menstruation can be reduced by following a light diet. Dairy, flour, sweet foods can cause bloating and increase pain. Therefore, during menstruation, it is necessary to exclude products that contribute to excessive gas formation. Useful vegetables and fruits, thanks to which the body replenishes with moisture and vitamins,
- try to drink a painkiller. Well, if the doctor picks it up. Among the drugs that affect pain, there are more and less effective. Although the annotations and say for a wide range of pain, but it acts differently. Therefore, it is better to choose a means of a narrower specificity, but to relieve pain during menstruation.
- physical activity on normal days is perceived as prevention of menstrual pain. During menstruation, light charging is allowed. In the initial days of the cycle sports loads are contraindicated,
- try to take care of yourself on critical days. Eliminate weight lifting, even with supermarket products, do not overcool, take time to rest, relax, watching your favorite movie.
Provocateurs pain syndromes
Why the recommendations did not lead to success? After all, we know that pain is a signal from the body, that it has had some kind of failure. The lower abdomen pulls during menstruation. It seems to be natural.
But there are additional symptoms that only a doctor can explain:
- rash during menstruation, fever, diarrhea with blood or black - are signs of a disorder in the functioning of the digestive tract,
- pain of an intense nature, the duration of which is calculated in days,
- taking painkillers doesn’t relieve pain, woman’s well-being does not improve,
- after the end of menstruation pain remains,
- heavy menstruation, increased bleeding in recent months,
- change in the nature of menstruation from a normal type to a particularly painful condition.
The presence of these symptoms can be the beginning of pathology in the body, in which for some reason pulls the abdomen.
An experienced doctor usually finds out the properties of pain:
The lower abdomen may ache in the run-up to the menstrual cycle, in the midst of menstruation, or after it ends. Pulling pain in the lower abdomen sensitive female person feels in the days of ovulation.
Along the way, you need to associate pain with the process of defecation, pollakiuria, nutrition.
Not everyone knows why the lower abdomen pulls Etiological factors, divided into physiological and pathological, are caused by the following ailments:
- abnormalities of genital organs,
- sexually transmitted diseases
- chronic salpingo-oophoritis,
- intestinal pathologies,
Physiological factors are:
- period of carrying a child
- ovulation period
- change in sexual activity
- premenstrual period
- stressful situations.
Pregnancy without anomalies can have pain that pulls the lower abdomen for some reason without a specific reason. This condition is observed in women primipara or those who have passed a long period between births.
Soreness is not long, a few minutes with no symptoms of pathology - malaise, weakness, vaginal discharge.
Another pain provocateur that worries a woman on any day of the cycle is vaginitis (colpitis). He has an enviable prevalence.
In percentage terms, among all genital diseases, he got 60%. Infectious pathology. Its causative agents of chlamydia, gonococcus, mycoplasma and others.
The development of vaginitis occurs under the action of the following factors:
- reduced immunity
- lack of vitamins in the body,
- endocrine and hormonal disruptions,
- disordered sexual relationships,
- ignoring the rules of intimate hygiene,
- genital trauma,
- history of abortions.
First of all, when pulling pains in the abdomen, it is necessary to visit a gynecologist. At his discretion may require consultation of relevant specialists: a gastroenterologist, general practitioner, urologist, endocrinologist.
Accurately diagnosed is half the solution. Diagnosis consists of:
- patient survey
- palpation of the abdomen
- examination on the gynecological chair,
- lab tests,
- instrumental studies:
- Ultrasound in the pelvis,
- radiography of the peritoneum,
- possibly a biopsy of suspicious lesions.
After receiving all the tests and research, the causes of the pain are established and the treatment is prescribed accordingly. Since there are many causes of pain, treatment options are also varied.
Pain without pathologies is facilitated by taking antispasmodics and analgesics. Algomenorrhea in reserve has hormonal drugs, vitamin complexes, physiotherapy.
Reading reviews of young women about critical days, it blows from them hopelessness. And those who went to the doctor, and those who were treated on the advice of girlfriends, almost can not improve their well-being during menstruation.
I would like to remind you that there are no problems that cannot be solved. Look for a way out, change your gynecologist, update your tests, the correct diagnosis will help you live peacefully during the period of critical days.