What causes diarrhea? Diarrhea or diarrhea is a rapid fluid excrement. A similar condition can be caused by pathogenic microorganisms.
The specific microbes that cause diarrhea vary from one country to another. It depends on health, economic development and household hygiene. For example, in third world countries, drinking water is often contaminated with bacteria due to poor cleaning systems. Human waste is used as fertilizer in the fields. All this leads to frequent diarrhea epidemics.
In developed countries, including Russia, outbreaks of diarrhea are more often associated with stale food, contaminated beverages.
Bacteria can be transmitted from adults to children and from child to child in kindergartens.
In general, diarrhea-causing infections are highly contagious. A person is a carrier, while suffering from this disorder, and sometimes longer. Gastrointestinal infections can be spread in the following ways:
- contact through the arms
- food and drink
- dirty diapers and used toilet paper.
Infectious microbes remain on all surfaces. These can be toys, furniture, toilet, the hands of an adult preparing food. Small children often pick up the infection because they pull any objects and their own hands into their mouths.
Other causes of diarrhea can be:
Viruses. Diarrhea in a child of 1-1.5 years can be caused by viral gastroenteritis. Viral gastroenteritis provoke several groups of viruses. Infection comes through childcare facilities, shops. The symptoms appear for only a few days, but short-term vomiting and diarrhea in a one-year-old child is a serious situation. The body is too quickly and dehydrated.
Viral gastroenteritis is often caused by rotavirus infection. Rotavirus causes severe diarrhea. In the cold season, this type of virus triggers epidemics in children's medical institutions. There is a vaccine against rotavirus infection. It can prevent 75% of infections and 98% of severe conditions requiring hospitalization.
Bacteria and parasites. Diarrhea in a child of one year is often caused by microbes and parasites. The main types of pathogens:
- E. coli. Most often, this pathogen multiplies in dirty water and poor-quality food - undercooked meatballs, dirty fruit. A child can become infected when parents bathe him in a natural pond.
- Salmonella. These microorganisms breed in chicken meat and eggs. Children 1-1.5 years of age are infected through an undercooked chicken or soft-boiled eggs.
- Campylobacter. Children and young adults often become infected with these bacteria through insufficiently cooked chicken.
- Shigella. Shigellosis is quickly transmitted in childcare facilities or families. Especially often Shigella attack children from 2 to 4 years. But there are cases when children younger than this age are infected.
- Lamblia This is a helminth that children infect from polluted streams and lakes, in recreational water centers.
- Cryptosporidia. The parasite multiplies in the aquatic environment. Often causes outbreaks of diarrhea in children's institutions. The diarrhea caused by it lasts more than 2 weeks.
Diarrhea in a 1-year-old child is first manifested by sharp pain in the intestines. As a rule, the child reacts with a loud cry, refuses to eat. Fast enough diarrhea begins. Diarrhea lasts 3-4 days. Symptoms of intestinal infection:
- temperature rise,
- weight loss,
Viral gastroenteritis is expressed first by fever and nausea, then diarrhea begins.
3When you call a doctor
The first symptoms of the disease cause panic in inexperienced parents and the question is how to treat diarrhea in a child? In case of diarrhea, a child at the age of 1 should call the pediatrician for home care. It is impossible and dangerous for other young patients to take the baby to the clinic in a similar state. Parents should call an ambulance if the child:
The doctor must be called when the child has symptoms of dehydration:
- The baby's mouth is dry,
- the baby is crying but he has no tears
- for 8-12 hours the child does not urinate,
- baby's skin has become dry, cold,
- the baby is irritable, constantly crying.
First aid before the arrival of the doctor involves frequent drinking. It is better to give the child a rehydrating solution, but if it is not at home, you can give lightly salted water.
4 Child Care
Children with mild diarrhea, without vomiting and fever can be eaten and drunk as usual. If the mother continues to feed the one-year-old baby, and she feels healthy, you can continue breastfeeding. Children older than 1 year can be given cow's milk and the usual mixture. Sometimes the child's appetite during diarrhea is reduced, in which case it is necessary to reduce the portions.
For a 1-year-old baby, treatment is usually without antibiotics and antiviral drugs. In most cases, recovery occurs on its own. In the case of salmonellosis, doctors prescribe antibiotics so that the infection does not spread throughout the body.
Infection with Giardia or cryptosporidia is treated with anti-parasitic drugs. For diarrhea, it is important to do a stool test to see the specific cause of the diarrhea. You can not independently treat the child with medical means, you need to follow the recommendations of the doctor.
The main task in the treatment of diarrhea is the restoration of water-salt balance, as the body loses moisture with feces and sweating from high temperature. Pediatrician may advise:
- give more water to your baby in the normal diet
- more often offer breast or infant formula,
- give rehydrating solution.
Modern doctors refuse that offered medicine in the past. Children with diarrhea are considered to be poorly perceived:
Modern medicine claims that salt and sugar can worsen the condition. Therefore, doctors insist on mineral water or rehydration solution.
It is unrealistic to predict the onset of diarrhea and prevent illness. But you can reduce the likelihood of this disease with a few simple steps:
- One year - the age at which the baby still does not know how to follow the rules of hygiene. Adults should follow this. Be sure to wash the child handles after walking, playing with other children, visiting crowded places and public transport.
- Home bathroom should always be clean.
- Toys should be periodically doused with hot water. Soft toys can be washed in a washing machine, dry cleaned.
- Fruits, berries, vegetables must be washed.
- Handle kitchen furniture with detergent after cooking.
- Bringing food from the store, you need as quickly as possible to put them in the refrigerator.
- You can not give the child water from the springs, no matter how clean it seems.
- You can not give children food bought on the street.
- Dish pets should be treated separately from the family.
- One year old baby cannot eat unpasteurized dairy products, soft-boiled eggs.
Weak diarrhea is not a cause for concern if the baby eats and drinks normally. Mild diarrhea will pass in a few days. In cases of severe diarrhea with a high degree of dehydration, the baby has to be hospitalized for a dropper for several hours.
What is diarrhea in a one-year-old child
Disorders of the stomach and intestines are a frequent problem faced by many parents, especially when their children have diarrhea. If the child is old enough, you can easily try to cope with his problems yourself, since usually these children can describe for themselves what worries them. Everything becomes much more difficult, if the child is not even one year old, then it is quite difficult to understand what bothers him.
If a child develops diarrhea, it should be remembered that diarrhea in children is much more difficult than in adults, so you should carefully determine the cause and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Symptoms of diarrhea in a child 1 year
Diarrhea in a one-year-old child is characterized by the presence of frequent bowel movements, usually 3-4 times a day. The color of feces is different from normal, the consistency is more fluid and unformed.
In addition, frequent additional symptoms in a child are vomiting (vomiting and diarrhea develop, most often, as a result of poisoning with this or that product). Almost always there is an increase in temperature, accompanied by impaired consciousness, dizziness, and anxiety on the part of the child.
Signs of dehydration with diarrhea of a one-year-old child
If the child has developed dehydration, the following signs will indicate this:
- Anxiety and excessive activity, tearfulness
- Dryness of the oral mucosa and nasal cavity
- Wetting of the baby’s eyes with blue spots
- The appearance of shortness of breath with the development of intermittent breathing
With severe dehydration, coma may develop with the disappearance of the pulse, a pressure drop below 110/70 (these figures are critical for a one-year-old child). If time does not provide the child with the necessary resuscitation care, everything can end up quite sad and lead to death.
Treatment of diarrhea in a child in 1 year
Treatment of diarrhea symptoms should begin as soon as possible to prevent excessive dehydration. For this purpose, special mineralized salt solutions are used, as well as a specific diet consisting of products that help restore the water-salt balance. Medications at this age should be prescribed very carefully.
Solutions for the treatment of diarrhea in one year
At the initial stages of treatment, if there are no violations from various organs and systems, it is enough to give the child plenty of drink with a small amount of salt, soda and sugar. If available, you can give the child an oral rehydron or oralit. These solutions can be purchased at the pharmacy in finished form or in powder form to prepare a solution at home. It is advisable to use a similar drink after each act of defecation of the baby, so as not to start the condition and not introduce it into decompensation.
It is not necessary for a child, without prior consultation with a doctor, to prescribe loperamide or no-silo to a child, since these drugs can only worsen the condition.
Diet for diarrhea in a child 1 year
It is recommended to supplement the accepted drink with the intake of certain foods. For the treatment of diarrhea in a child, rice decoction, ground vegetables and fruits, boiled eggs and cereals are most often used. It is necessary to exclude from the diet tea, beets, as these products contribute to increased urination, which leads to even greater loss of body fluids.
It is forbidden to give the child fruit juices and sparkling water, as these products contribute to a greater loss of fluid and stimulate strong thirst.
Diarrhea in a child
Diet for diarrhea in a small child
The newborn often poops
Diarrhea in baby
The child has diarrhea, what to do
The lower the age of the children, the more panicked the parents are if they suddenly get sick. When diarrhea occurs in a child of 1 year old, then the first question of the mother is what to give him to help? How to properly recognize diarrhea, when the baby is still a crumb and can not itself describe the symptoms? After all, this disease can lead to serious health complications if you do not start treating it in time. How to find out why the disorder started and react in time to such a baby's condition? How can parents help their child? These and other important questions are answered further.
Why does diarrhea occur in a one-year-old child?
Fluid stools in a one-year-old child may begin due to several factors. To know how to respond and how to treat, you need to find out the cause. In addition, there are several types of diarrhea in children:
- Due to infections. The reason is the effect on the intestines of pathogenic bacteria. They cause diseases such as salmonellosis and dysentery. The causative agent may be rotavirus. Influencing the intestinal mucosa, it contributes to the increase in body temperature and poor well-being of the child. This type of disease appears mainly in children of the first year of life, less often in adults.
- Due to the violation of the diet, the use of water of poor quality, due to the intake of strong drugs, as a consequence of allergic reactions.
- Liquid stools in a child at the age of 1 year may begin after the introduction of a new product into the supplement as an allergic reaction to it. Also for this reason, rashes and redness on the cheeks may occur. New products are recommended to be introduced into the children's menu gradually, starting with half a teaspoon, gradually adjusting to the quantity needed by age. Also, the mother must keep a special journal and note the reaction of the baby to a particular product.
- Dyspeptic cause. Diarrhea in a child may occur due to an innate inability to qualitatively digest incoming food. But after 2 years, such a problem goes away by itself, since at this age the organs of the children are already completely formed.
- Also, watery stools in a child may occur due to poisoning or due to renal failure. This happens in both adult children and yearlings.
- Because of the medications. If the baby has been taking antibiotics for a long time, then the beneficial microflora dies in the intestine and dysbacteriosis develops, the first symptom of which is diarrhea.
- Diarrhea in a one-year-old child can begin due to strong and frequent stress, constant experiences. He, as a rule, is accompanied by a sharp rise in the body, an accelerated heartbeat and intense excitement.
Regardless of the cause of the disorder in a child of the first year of life, it must be treated necessarily and immediately. After all, if diarrhea continues for a long time, then the body is dehydrated, while the internal organs begin to work incorrectly, the general condition deteriorates markedly, the defenses are reduced.
The first symptoms of diarrhea in babies
Signs of diarrhea can be different, they all depend on the root causes of its occurrence. The baby may have all of the following symptoms or more. They need to identify and immediately begin treatment.
Signs of diarrhea in children
- Liquid feces. Depending on the cause of the disease, there may be spotting, mucus, streaks, undigested food pieces.
- The stool may have an unpleasant odor, an unnatural color and a frothy consistency.
- Baby diarrhea happens more than three times a day, and its color is different from the usual.
- A crumb can complain of abdominal pain.
- There may also be bloating, loud rumbling.
- The child may experience sharp pricking sensations or pain in the lower abdomen.
- Body temperature may rise.
- Nausea, vomiting, dizziness and weakness.
Often prolonged diarrhea and improper or delayed treatment can provoke dehydration of the child’s body, then you need to go to the hospital and take serious measures.
- Dry mucous membranes.
- Cracks near the lips.
- Dry skin.
- Sunken eyes.
- Dry mouth.
- Restless, nervous behavior of the baby.
- The patient drinks water with greed.
In order to accurately diagnose why diarrhea began in a one-year-old baby, it is necessary to pass his feces for analysis. In the laboratory, specialists can accurately determine the cause of the disease based on the presence of barium sulfate in the feces.Such an analysis is very important, because the success of treatment depends on a quick and accurate diagnosis. Indeed, depending on the type of disorder, a qualified physician must prescribe specific medical drugs to eliminate the symptoms and the cause.
Proper treatment of diarrhea in a one-year-old baby
Faced with diarrhea symptoms, many moms start to panic and get lost. What to give the child to alleviate his condition? How to treat children's diarrhea correctly and without consequences?
How to treat diarrhea
To treat diarrhea in a child in 1 year is not worth it on your own in any case, because you can cause irreversible harm to the health of the crumbs. Many drugs can not be given to children without the appointment and control of the attending physician. It is also worth remembering that most medicines can be given to children only from two years old, for one-year-old children pharmaceutical companies produce special suspensions and harmless syrups so as not to cause harm to a small organism.
If you notice at least one sign of diarrhea that has begun, do not hesitate, call the doctor at home or go to the nearest emergency room. The sooner the doctor diagnoses and prescribes the medicine, the sooner your baby will feel better.
- Before the arrival of the doctor and the diagnosis, the children can be given lightly salted water or a solution of “Regidron”. You need to buy a bag of the drug in a pharmacy and keep it in a home pharmacy, and in case of diarrhea, dilute the contents in a glass of lukewarm boiled water.
- If there is no such solution at hand, then you can do it yourself. To do this, add half a teaspoon of salt and two spoons of sugar to a glass of warm water. You can store this solution for no longer than a day.
- If the crumbs have a temperature, then he is given antipyretic according to the age dosage. No more medication should be given to children, especially painkillers. They can be prescribed only by a qualified doctor after installing the cause of diarrhea in a baby.
10 rules for successful treatment of diarrhea in one year old children
- If the baby is breastfed, then it should not be stopped. The mixture should also be given according to the schedule. During this period, the crumb may require breast more often, do not refuse him, because the baby needs not only food, but also psychological calm.
- In addition to food, the patient also needs to drink. As often as possible, offer him compotes, fruit drinks, plain water, rice water and saline. After each liquid excrement, the baby should drink about half a glass of liquid. If he flatly refuses, do not force.
- If there is nausea and vomiting, then offer a crumb to drink liquid a little bit, for example, with a spoon. If after drinking a child vomited, offer him more water, but less.
- For children from 1 year there are various remedies for diarrhea with a sweet fruit or berry flavor, but they need to be applied in a dosage appropriate for age.
- If the temperature does not rise sharply, you can use antipyretic candles. Otherwise - only a fast-acting antipyretic drug in the form of syrup.
- Liquid stools in a one-year-old child also implies the observance of a certain diet, because at this age the children already eat complementary foods. It is necessary to give ripe bananas, crackers, boiled lenten rice and baked apples - these products clean the intestines of the child from disease-causing bacteria.
- Starting from the second day, boiled and stewed pieces of lean meat, vegetables and some sour-milk products are added to the diet of a small patient.
- Such a diet should last for several days, while new products cannot be introduced into the supplements, and those already tested should be given in small portions.
- If a child refuses ready food in the first days, do not force him to eat. When he becomes a little easier, he will give to understand that he wants to eat.
- During such a period it is extremely important to monitor the personal hygiene of the diseased crumbs, change the dirty diaper in time and wash or wipe the baby with wet wipes, especially in summer. Diarrhea in a one-year-old child can provoke redness and irritation on the priest due to bacteria that go along with feces, for this you can lubricate problem areas with special creams and ointments, for example, Bepanten, Desitinom and others.
There is no single cure for diarrhea for children of the first year of life, since the causes of the disorder may be different. So, the treatment should be individual for each baby. Therefore, it is better for parents not to delay, but to consult a doctor as soon as possible. Then the treatment will be effective. Do not self-medicate, even if you are sure that you know the cause of the disease. Otherwise, you can cause irreparable harm to your child.
The disorder of the gastrointestinal tract is a common problem faced by any parents. The latter is much easier to cope with this disease, if the child is an adult. He can independently describe all the symptoms that bother him. With a one-year-old baby who has diarrhea, parents will have to independently control the course of the disease and closely monitor all associated symptoms. Diarrhea for young children is a disease that can cause serious complications. That it is necessary to do, at a diarrhea at the child in 1 year, we will tell in this article.
Diarrhea in a child in 1 year
Diarrhea in a one-year-old child is considered a condition when the baby is emptied more often three times a day. The emptyings themselves have a liquid consistency and a color different from the usual one.
It is very important not to miss the first symptoms of diarrhea in a one-year-old child. With delayed care, diarrhea can give complications such as dehydration. In addition, the cause of diarrhea can be serious diseases that require specialist examination and further treatment.
Treatment of diarrhea in a one-year-old child
Before proceeding to treatment, you should pay attention to the presence of associated symptoms:
- stomach ache,
- a sharp change in color and smell of fecal masses,
- the presence of mucus or blood in the stool.
Most often, a child in 1 year old has diarrhea in acute form with temperature and other symptoms indicated above. If, in addition to liquid stool, the child has any of the symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor.
It is also urgent to contact a specialist if the child has signs of a moderate degree of dehydration:
- restless behavior
- sunken eyes,
- dry mucous membranes
- dry mouth
- the child begins to drink water with greed.
Treatment of diarrhea with associated symptoms
Diarrhea with fever, vomiting and other signs in a one-year-old child does not need to be treated independently. Concomitant symptoms may be signs of poisoning or diseases, such as salmonellosis, cholera, enteritis, gastroenteritis in children, etc. In this case, improperly chosen drugs can only aggravate the condition of the baby.
Pending the arrival of a specialist, a child can be given a special solution (rehydron, oralit), which prevents dehydration. You must purchase it at a pharmacy or do it yourself.
The use of solutions for diarrhea
The solution purchased in a pharmacy is a powder that must be diluted with the amount of water indicated in the instructions. The most common regidron, you can take its other counterparts, intended for children.
Another variant of the solution for drinking with diarrhea is prepared at home. To do this, in 1 liter of warm boiled water, stir a tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
To feed the baby with a solution for drinking is necessary after each emptying or vomiting of a teaspoon. The daily dose of the solution for one year old babies is about 50 - 100 ml.
Such drugs as loperamide and no-shpa should not be given to the child. It is worth avoiding the use of any medication at all, before the specialist has examined the child.
Depending on the severity of the baby’s condition, the doctor may recommend inpatient treatment.
Treatment of diarrhea in a one-year-old child on an outpatient basis
If a child has diarrhea, but there are no additional symptoms, the child does not lose weight, he has no signs of dehydration, and diarrhea can be treated at home.
Under the treatment means the adoption of a solution for drinking according to the above scheme. It is also worth changing the diet. It is recommended to eat the following products:
- rice water
- cereal with a moderate amount of butter,
- ground boiled vegetables and fruits
- boiled meat
- boiled eggs.
In no case should not give the child fruit juices and soda water.
Diarrhea in a child 1 year old - treatment
Diarrhea is the most common disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. Diarrhea in itself is not a disease, but only one of the signs of a serious disease that only a doctor can diagnose.
What is considered diarrhea in a child?
Diarrhea (diarrhea) in a child is a liquid stool that goes on for a long time and is not amenable to conscious control by the child. At the same time, stool frequency does not play a special role, since this indicator varies greatly in childhood, until the child is one year old. A breastfed baby has diarrhea up to 6-8 times a day, while an artificial baby is usually not more than three times.
Before you decide how to treat diarrhea in a child, you need to review the diet, sleep and wakefulness of the baby. It is necessary to more actively monitor its actions during the day, follow the rules of hygiene and eliminate situations where the child pulls dirty hands in his mouth.
Causes of diarrhea in a child
Diarrhea in childhood can be the result of the following reasons:
- improperly organized food: for example, the baby overeats, from which it often spits up,
- wrong introduction of the first complementary foods
- intestinal dysbiosis,
- various intestinal infectious diseases,
- diseases of other organs in the child’s body: inflammation of the ears, lungs, acute appendicitis, liver diseases, worms, acute appendicitis, liver diseases.
What to eat with diarrhea child?
If the baby has started diarrhea, you need to stop feeding him for a while. Subsequently, it is necessary to exclude from the diet of the child food, including in its composition fiber, as it is quite difficult to digest. It is also not recommended to give a child apple, grape juice, sweet, salty, fatty, dairy products.
The list of products that you can offer your baby is not rich: mashed potatoes, rice water, crackers, toast, bananas. In this case, food should be as often as possible, and the portions themselves are small, so that the child can more easily eat the offered food at one meal.
What to water a child with diarrhea?
During diarrhea, the child increases the risk of dehydration. Absolutely without fluid it is impossible. It is best to water your baby with ordinary boiled water. In addition, you can make him a saline solution: for one liter of water take one teaspoon of table salt, one tablespoon of sugar, half a teaspoon of soda. This solution should be offered to the child every 15 minutes, two teaspoons.
Diarrhea in infants: treatment
It is necessary to treat not the diarrhea itself, but its cause, which caused this violation. Since the child loses a large amount of fluid during diarrhea, it is important to prevent dehydration.
Saline is actively used in the treatment of young children. If the baby is still breastfeeding, it is necessary to apply it to the breast as often as possible.
In order to understand how and how to stop diarrhea in a child, it is necessary to seek medical help, where a specialist will select the necessary drugs, taking into account the severity of the disease and the age of the baby. The doctor may prescribe such drugs as imodium, enterosgel. Activated carbon. rehydron, glucosan. However, it should be remembered that taking any medication is possible only after prior consultation with a pediatrician and an assessment of the child’s general condition.
Severe diarrhea in a one-year-old child: treatment
If diarrhea is noted in a child at the age of 1 year, treatment should take place under the supervision of a physician, if, in addition to diarrhea, the child has vomiting, loss of appetite and a general deterioration of the condition. The expediency of taking sorbents should be discussed in each individual case with the medical staff. If the child’s diarrhea is mild and there are no other symptoms, then drinking plenty and a sparing diet can help the baby cope with diarrhea. However, with persistent diarrhea for several days, you must seek medical help.
Causes of diarrhea in a child
Violations of the stool in a child can be caused by several reasons. At the first sign of diarrhea, you should understand what factors could lead to abnormal stool. Depending on them, there are several types of intestinal disorders, manifested in the form of diarrhea:
Infectious diarrhea. Its pathogens are harmful microorganisms that cause dysentery, salmonellosis and other intestinal diseases, and the most common is rotavirus infection: it is she who in most cases provokes diarrhea and a child's temperature at 1 year.
Dyspeptic diarrhea. Quite often occurs in one-year-old children, the gastrointestinal tract of which is still not doing well enough with the digestion of food.
Alimentary diarrhea. May be observed in violation of the diet or in acute allergic reactions.
Medical diarrhea. Appears with prolonged use of antibiotics that violate the natural intestinal microflora, which leads to dysbiosis and digestive disorders.
Toxic diarrhea. Occurs due to poisoning or renal failure.
Neurogenic diarrhea. Violations of the stool can develop on the odds of stress and nervous disorders and can be accompanied by fever as well as restless behavior of the child.
Features of the digestive system
The digestive system in one-year-old children is not yet fully formed and therefore susceptible to various diseases. Improper care of the baby causes serious disorders, accompanied by a violation of the chair. Diarrhea in a one-year-old child develops due to the penetration of microbes into the intestine. Overeating also causes diarrhea, which will be accompanied by vomiting.
Due to the characteristics of the digestive organs in children with the appearance of diarrhea, the chance of development of dehydration increases significantly. Thus, it is important to understand how to properly deal with pathology, which drugs to use for the treatment of one-year-old children, and which are not.
Diarrhea is not a disease, but a symptom of pathology.
Causes of diarrhea in young children
The reasons for which diarrhea occurs in babies at 1 year old are divided into 2 groups: infectious and non-infectious.
Infectious diarrhea is caused by harmful bacteria. They can be the causative agents of dysentery, salmonellosis and other diseases. The disorder can be provoked by viruses. The main causative agent is rotavirus, which causes damage to the inner lining of the intestine. Your baby may have a sharp rise in body temperature. But in some cases, the disease proceeds without fever.
Kids one year old and older especially often encounter this problem. During this period, the child's body is still unable to digest food well.Adults are more resistant to this disease.
- Alimentary type of diarrhea occurs due to improper diet. Becoming a violation of the stool can medication or severe allergies.
- Toxic diarrhea occurs in children due to poisoning and renal failure.
- Medical diarrhea may appear due to long-term antibiotic treatment. Such drugs adversely affect the intestinal microflora.
- Dyspeptic diarrhea affects mainly one-year-old children. The reason is the inability of the child's body to properly digest food. The problem often passes on its own when the baby is 2 years old. By this time, the digestive system is already fully formed.
- Neurogenic diarrhea occurs due to prolonged stress. In addition to loose stools, the baby's heart rate increases and the body temperature rises rapidly.
When diarrhea occurs in a child at 1 year old, treatment should be started as early as possible. This issue should be approached carefully and carefully. All therapeutic measures should be carried out under the supervision of a physician.
Liquid stool in a child in 1 year of life may be the result of serious diseases. To exclude them, it is necessary to conduct a diagnosis. It includes the following examinations:
- stool analysis
- rectal examination
- Abdominal ultrasound,
- biochemical blood test (assigned to diagnose specific pathologies),
- bacteriological seeding of vomiting and feces.
The choice of diagnostic methods is determined by the doctor individually. In this plays the role of the child's condition. Treatment should be administered only after receiving the results of the research.
If you suspect the presence of pathogenic microorganisms in the intestines of a baby, experts prescribe a baccali excrement. This study has one big drawback - the results have to wait about 10 days.
The main question is how to stop diarrhea in a child at the age of 1 year and which medications should be used. It is necessary to carry out the treatment with caution so as not to cause more harm to the health of the baby. For therapeutic purposes, it is necessary to use those drugs that affect the factor that caused the disorder of the stool.
In case of severe diarrhea, the baby should be given a saline solution, for example, Regidron, Enterodez, Glucosan, etc. The powder is diluted in boiled and cooled water. Taking the drug from this group is necessary to fill the lack of fluid in the body and to prevent dehydration. Instead of saline, glucose solution is also used.
With diarrhea, accompanied by a strong temperature, you can use drugs where paracetamol is present. For the treatment of one-year-old children, doctors recommend putting rectal suppositories.
If the baby has diarrhea, it is necessary to remove toxic substances from the child’s body. Sorbents, for example, activated carbon, Smecta, etc., deal well with this.
Symptomatic drugs for diarrhea - Imodium, Bismuth, etc.
If diarrhea has occurred due to some serious illness, the treatment is best carried out in a hospital under the supervision of doctors.
If diarrhea is caused by dysbacteriosis, then treatment should use medications that normalize the intestinal microflora:
If a stool disorder caused an intestinal infection, the doctor should prescribe antimicrobial drugs from the Nitrofuran group:
Such drugs prevent the reproduction of pathogenic bacteria, while not destroying the intestinal microflora. They are safe and effective.
If the infection occurs in a severe form and is accompanied by high fever, discharge of pus, mucus, or blood in the stool, antibiotics are indicated. Most suitable for children 1 year:
- Metronidazole is prescribed for Giardia.
For children at the age of 1, antibiotics from the penicillins and macrolides group are the safest.
When diarrhea children give and enzyme preparations:
- Paninorm Forte,
- Mezim forte and others
If the child experiences pain during diarrhea, pain medication is prescribed for him:
Parents should not try to cure diarrhea in a baby with antibiotics on their own. It is forbidden to give one-year-old children the drug Levomycetin. Recent studies have shown that it has a toxic effect on the bone marrow.
If diarrhea in a child is not caused by a serious pathology, recipes of traditional medicine will help normalize the stool. How does a 1 year old baby cure diarrhea at home? The remedies listed below can improve the condition of the child.
- To prevent dehydration of the body, a solution is prepared: in 1 liter of boiled water, salt and soda should be dissolved (1 tsp each). In the water you need to add 1 tbsp. l Sahara. With strong diarrhea, you must give the child this medicine every 10 minutes for 2 tsp.
- To normalize the stool, you can use a decoction of dried fruit of pears or infusion of dry pomegranate peels.
- Rid the child of diarrhea can, if you give him chamomile tea.
- Well normalizes stool carrot puree.
- The most effective recipe for traditional medicine for diarrhea is thick rice broth.
- To stop a frequent liquid stool in a 1-year-old child, it is necessary to prepare a solution of starch: 1/2 cup of water should be stirred in 1/2 cup of water. starch and some sugar.
It is important to understand that the treatment of diarrhea in one-year-old children, even folk recipes, must be approached with great responsibility. To understand how to treat a child without harm to his health, you should contact your pediatrician.
All parents should know: diarrhea in the baby - this is not a harmless phenomenon. This condition can be caused by a serious infectious disease. To prevent this, it is necessary to remember about preventive measures. Important rules should be followed:
- From early childhood, the child must be taught to respect the rules of personal hygiene.
- Products that baby eats should be properly processed.
- Fruits and vegetables should be thoroughly washed, so that they do not have microbes.
- The child should drink only clean or boiled water.
- It is necessary to monitor the freshness and quality of products.
- It is very important to wash your hands before eating, after walking and using the toilet.
- Parents are required to ensure that the child does not lick dirty fingers and toys. All this increases the risk of infection in the body.
- Babies should not bathe in various public places, because children often swallow water in which infection may be present.
Even if you comply with all preventive measures, you cannot protect your child from diarrhea by 100%. But these rules can significantly reduce the risk of intestinal infections in the body of babies.
What is dangerous for child diarrhea
The most dangerous complication of diarrhea is dehydration. In children up to the year it develops very rapidly. The symptoms of this condition are as follows:
- the child always wants to drink
- lips and mucous membranes dry up,
- skin tone is lost
- baby rarely goes in a small way.
Dehydration disrupts the balance of electrolytes, which adversely affects the work of the organs. Complications of diarrhea are as follows:
- malfunctions in the organs of the urinary system,
- the appearance of arrhythmias, spasms,
- if the diarrhea was caused by an infection, the microbes can invade other internal organs and disrupt their functioning.
Sometimes a baby has several of the following symptoms:
- diarrhea or constipation
- pronounced abdominal pain,
- nausea with vomiting
- bad breath
This may indicate that he has an ulcer or gastritis. What to do in this case? These pathologies can cause more serious complications, such as stomach bleeding. Therefore, if an ulcer or gastritis is suspected, it is necessary to visit a doctor as soon as possible and start timely treatment.
One-year-old children still can not tell what exactly it hurts. Parents should understand this by their behavior. Therefore, it is important for moms and dads to carefully monitor the health of the baby.
Types of diarrhea in infants
Any indigestion can have certain effects. And in order to understand how much diarrhea a baby carries, it is necessary to identify the main cause of the disease.
Depending on the provoking factor, these types of diarrhea are distinguished:
- Infectious diarrhea. One major cause of the disorder is pathogenic microflora of viral or bacterial origin. Any intestinal infection provokes severe diarrhea in the baby, accompanied by profuse vomiting and a sharp increase in temperature.
- Alimentary diarrhea. This is diarrhea in a child without fever, caused by errors in diet or a severe allergic reaction.
- Dyspeptic diarrhea. Diarrhea in a one-year-old child can be triggered by a lack of enzymes necessary for the assimilation of the entire volume of food consumed. This is a fairly common problem for babies in their first years of life. And usually the situation is solved independently, when the digestive system is finally formed and will get stronger.
- Toxic diarrhea. The main cause of the disorder is food poisoning, which occurs equally often in children of all ages.
- Medical diarrhea. Digestive upset caused by prolonged use of antibacterial drugs. Treatment with antibiotics very often leads to an imbalance of microflora in the intestine and, as a consequence, to the development of dysbacteriosis.
- Diarrhea neurogenic nature. Diarrhea of this type occurs on the background of strong emotional stress, feelings, stress. There is one recipe for such diarrhea - a calm atmosphere in the family, parental love and care.
When a one-year-old child has diarrhea, the first thing to do is to carefully examine the contents of the diaper. Oddly enough, the color of the stool can tell a lot about the cause of the disorder.
- Yellow. Short yellow diarrhea, not burdened by other symptoms, is considered normal. Typically, the disorder is caused by poor-quality food, mild stress, or teething. But if the stool does not return to normal within a few days, you should consult a pediatrician.
- Light, white. A light-colored diarrhea in a child may indicate an enzyme deficiency or serious liver pathologies.
- Watery. Watery stools with particles of mucus are most often found with intestinal infections, less often with intolerance to natural cow's milk. Frequent liquid stools of watery nature very quickly cause dehydration, which is extremely dangerous for one-year-old children.
- Frothy Liquid stools of frothy nature can be a symptom of lactose deficiency, dysbiosis or acute poisoning.
- Bloody. When detected in the fecal masses of blood particles, you must immediately call an ambulance. Bloody loose stools are a sign of bacterial infection. The presence of green lumps with streaks of blood is a symptom of dysentery, an admixture of orange flakes characteristic of salmonellosis.
- Green. Green diarrhea, fever, frequent vomiting and abdominal pain - a clinical picture indicating the presence of an intestinal infection.
- The black. A black chair in a child per year can be triggered by taking certain types of medications, for example, activated carbon. If no treatment has been given, black diarrhea can be a symptom of internal bleeding.
Before the arrival of the ambulance, it is recommended to leave the last changed diaper so that the pediatrician can independently assess the condition of the feces and make a preliminary diagnosis.
Diarrhea, as the only symptom of malaise
If loose stools are not accompanied by other symptoms, the main cause of the disease is non-infectious. Most often, indigestion is caused by such factors:
- violation of the rules of feeding, the presence in the diet of "adult" food,
- errors in the choice of dishes for a nursing mother, whose child is breastfed,
- unreasonable replacement of milk formula, its incorrect introduction into the baby’s diet,
- long journey, climate change,
- adverse reaction to medication,
- allergic reaction and intolerance to certain substances,
- severe stress, feelings (for example, when teething),
- enzyme deficiency.
In this case, the correction of nutrition and the daily regimen of the baby, as well as the elimination of the provoking factor will help to cure diarrhea.
Related symptoms of diarrhea in infants
Viral and bacterial infections, pathologies of internal organs, acute inflammatory processes or parasitic diseases are manifested not only by abundant diarrhea. And in addition to diarrhea, the child may experience the following dangerous symptoms:
- temperature increase both in subfebrile values, and exceeding them,
- vomiting of varying degrees of intensity
- abdominal pain, localized in some of its areas,
- discoloration of feces and their smell,
- the appearance in the stool particles of mucus, blood impurities or green lumps.
To stop diarrhea, it is necessary to conduct a full diagnosis. Treatment is started only after establishing the cause of the disorder. Until this time, the baby is given rehydration therapy to prevent dehydration.
Treatment of diarrhea in a one-year-old child
If diarrhea is in a one-year-old child, what should parents do? First of all, it is necessary to assess the condition of the baby and remember that the baby was eating or what events preceded diarrhea. If the episodes of diarrhea are not frequent and the overall condition of the child is satisfactory, you should not worry. In this situation, it will be enough to consult a district pediatrician, who will tell you how to treat the baby, depending on the cause of the liquid stool.
Methods for stopping diarrhea in a child:
- Food-borne diarrhea caused by an improper mixture or unsuitable food does not need medication. To normalize the stool, it will be enough to correct the diet of the baby and the nursing mom.
- Treatment of allergic diarrhea is also based on the correction of the nutrition of the child with the elimination of all products that could provoke such an immune response. To determine the list of prohibited foods, you must keep a food diary or be examined by an allergist.
- Drug-induced diarrhea resolves itself immediately after discontinuation of the prescribed drug. Further treatment tactics are reviewed. Before going to the doctor, you must give the child diarrhea Enterosgel or Polysorb. For the treatment of dysbacteriosis caused by the administration of antibiotics, drugs of beneficial bacteria are prescribed.
- Neurogenic diarrhea also does not need specific therapy. After eliminating the annoying factor, the stool normalizes on its own.
One-year-old children suffering from infectious diarrhea are in urgent need of hospitalization. Already in place, the doctor does the analysis and determines how to treat the crumb. It is outpatient, and even more so at home, infants with intestinal infections or other pathologies of the digestive system are not treated.
If the child's temperature rises, the frequency of the stool increases, and any impurities are detected in it, it is urgent to call an ambulance. Already in the hospital, children undergo antibacterial, rehydration and detoxification therapy.