As a rule, in diseases associated with the diaphragm (most often, this is a diaphragmatic hernia, in which part of the contents of the stomach enters the esophagus), the pain is constant. The dull aching pain localizing in the left hypochondrium is often accompanied by nausea and heartburn. If the pain is noticeably aggravated during inhalation, this may be the cause of the development of subphrenic abscess, in which the pain often gives off under the left scapula or supraclavicular region.
The cause of this disease is the compression of the intercostal nerves or their irritation. People suffering from this disease note a piercing pain under the ribs, as well as in the chest area. At the same time, pain sensations radiating to the left hypochondrium become more pronounced when coughing, sneezing and taking a deep breath.
The characteristic symptoms of this disease are pain in the left side, namely, in the umbilical part, colic, a feeling of bloating and distension of the abdomen. A bowel movement helps to achieve temporary relief, however, after a short time, the exacerbation of pain often occurs, especially when taking a deep breath or a strong cough.
Gastrointestinal and renal diseases
This group includes the following diseases:
- Ruptured spleen - occurs as a result of mechanical injury of the left part of the abdominal cavity in the middle or lower part. The damaged organ begins to bloom profusely, and the outflowing blood enters the abdominal cavity. Increased innervation of the spleen provokes severe pain, which is aggravated not only during movement, but also during normal inspiration. Marked soreness of breathing, shooting through pain in the middle and lower parts of the peritoneum and under the ribs in the left side. During the slow course, the body temperature gradually increases, chills join, and the skin in the area of the organ becomes bluish.
- Diaphragmatic hernia and subphrenic abscess - the diaphragm conditionally separates the abdominal from the chest cavity, which is governed by the volume of inhalation. When there is a hernia, the lumen of the esophagus usually increases, and the lower portion of the stomach moves a few centimeters up, due to which the person feels a constant aching pain in the left hypochondrium. This includes abundant regurgitation after eating, as there is a spontaneous throwing of food through the esophagus into the oral cavity. There is an inability to make a full breath, as well as aching pain under the ribs, aggravated by sharp sneezing or coughing.
- Acute appendicitis - although it is usually localized on the right, it can also manifest itself in the left part of the abdominal cavity with acute arching and increasing pain, which is aggravated by inhalation. It can extend to the area between the ribs, as well as strengthen with coughing and any body movement. Accompanied by fever, chills. It occurs as a result of the inflammatory process in the appendix, after which it is completely removed.
- Acute pyelonephritis - the left kidney, in the presence of an inflammatory process, is capable of provoking pain in the left hypochondrium and between the ribs, as well as radiating to the abdominal cavity. Urinary processes (it is absent) are disturbed, urges increase, body temperature rises, and there are also renal colic, which grows on inspiration and subsides on exhalation. When coughing, colic increases, which can provoke painful shock and loss of consciousness. Pain in the side does not go away by itself, and vasospasm is eliminated only after taking antispasmodics.
- Pancreatitis - problems with the pancreas lead to the formation and growth of diseases of the entire gastrointestinal tract. The lack of enzymes does not allow to fully digest and absorb nutrients entering the body with food. An increase in the pancreas, which is located on the left side of the stomach, causes aching and nagging pain, as well as heartburn and discomfort in the stomach. Pain in the left side and between the ribs, especially worse after eating.
Causes of stabbing pain
The pains that appear on the left when breathing in speak of the development of pathology. Patients need to focus and understand the nature of the manifestations, their intensity and time of appearance. The main reasons are the problems that are presented in the table below.
Any problem should be urgently described by a doctor, since such reasons cannot be ignored. Why? The problem can talk about serious violations of the internal organs. Often problems arise during pregnancy, but sometimes this is normal. In any case, the exact reason and the diagnosis can only be a specialist.
Main symptoms of pain in the side under the ribs
The main symptoms will depend on their occurrence and development, they are difficult to detect due to their non-specificity, but in general they are combined into a general category for the following symptoms:
- Symptoms of colic in the left side
Visceral symptoms. Appear as a result of problems with the gastrointestinal tract and illnesses in this area. Symptoms often occur along with pain in the form of contractions that occur during colic. Sometimes they can wear nagging and pulling characters, if the pathology develops into a chronic form. In addition, similar symptoms are typical for reflection, in other words, discomfort can be given to neighboring parts of the body or organs. Often gives away to the sides, right or left.
There are some symptoms that can attract attention to certain problems. Details can be found in more detail in the table below.
Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine
This disease is very common today. Particularly susceptible to him are people who have sedentary work. In this pathology, the nerve endings that extend from the spine are compressed, which causes pain under the left edge. Often, it gives back, buttock, and even the thigh, can be shingles, accompanied by numbness and pinching.
The fact that the cause of pain is precisely osteochondrosis may also indicate a decrease in the mobility of the thoracic region. “Backache” occurs not only during inhalation, but also during movements, sharp corners of the body. In most cases, overtake a person after a long time in an uncomfortable position. Often they happen during sleep.
Other symptoms of colic in the side
If the pain is sticking under the ribs on the left side, there may be a problem with the spleen. If you give the body a load, and also actively begin to move, the syndrome becomes stronger. In addition, stabbing sensations in such a zone may indicate the development of myeloid leukemia, which is not diagnosed at its initial stage, but is determined by chance, if an examination of blood serum is performed. With this pathology, problems begin with the spleen, heaviness under the ribs appears, colic after eating is possible. In some stages, the problem can be felt, because the seal is clearly visible.
Strong and sharp sensations often speak of the serious condition of the patient, whose pathologies have worsened. In this case, emergency care is required. As a rule, severe pain is difficult to sustain, even if you take certain drugs. The constant manifestation of unpleasant sensations indicates a slow course of diseases of the stomach or intestines in a latent form. Similar symptoms may indicate pre-infarction status. Symptoms can be tolerated, but it is not recommended to do this, so that complications do not happen.
Thrills mean serious problems that can be fatal. As a rule, the symptoms of acute pain will be noticeable during the night rest. Symptoms are usually sudden and more likely to occur in the fall or spring. Gives discomfort from left hypochondrium in the back, sometimes in the lumbar region. As a rule, these are signs of an ulcer, patients with acute pains begin to twist in the fetal position or clutch at the abdomen.
Often the problem can be exacerbated gastritis, the development of a tumor that puts pressure on tissues and organs. Pulsating symptoms appear in the pathology of many internal organs, often undergoes changes in the spleen, due to which a person begins to feel discomfort in the left side under the rib.
Side pain treatment
It is the left hypochondrium that is the protection of human organs, therefore, if it is on the left, it is necessary to immediately go for a visit to the doctor, because this can be a cause of death. The main goal of treatment is to thoroughly diagnose and pass tests, only after that the doctor will be able to establish the real cause of the pain and prescribe the proper treatment.
If the pain is found at night or far from the hospital, then there are several ways to relieve symptoms. This will require the use of certain medications:
- "No-shpa" is used 2 tablets twice a day.
- "Nitroglycerin" is used one tablet per day, which is placed under the tongue.
- You can use injections that are injected subcutaneously, as a vaccine using 1 ml of "Atropine" (0.1%), as well as 1 ml of "Promedol".
If the pain is very severe, and there are also concomitant symptoms such as gagging, nausea and other discomfort, you should call the emergency room or go to the hospital as quickly as possible. Often, with the described diseases with acute pains on the left side under the ribs, surgery may be required.
In the case of an already established diagnosis by a doctor, in addition to the use of medication, you can use several folk remedies that can help the treatment and reduce pain syndromes:
- The benefits of broth hips with pain in the side
If spasms of the spleen increase, then a decoction of wild rose is used, but it can be replaced with a gram of royal milk.
Knowing the basic methods of treatment and methods of removing pain, it is possible to reduce the discomfort, and using folk remedies, to keep the body in the right tone.
Preventing pain and colic in the side
Knowing why there is pain on the left under the ribs during exhalation or inhalation, and what consequences this may cause, doctors recommend using several secrets as a preventive measure:
- Prevention of colic in the left side
Annually conduct a full examination in the hospital to keep abreast of diseases and prevent them in time, and in the case of chronic diseases, block them in time.
The pain under the ribs on the left side is a dangerous phenomenon, since to say right away and with 100% accuracy what exactly hurts is difficult. Such a pain can cause the stomach, and maybe other internal organs. Therefore, we must adhere to the correct lifestyle and control their condition.
Left intercostal neuralgia
The term refers to a pathological condition, the symptoms of which are similar to the manifestations of angina pectoris or myocardial infarction. In itself, it is not dangerous, but may be a symptom of diseases characterized by irritation or squeezing of the nerves located between the ribs.
Causes of the pathological state:
- osteochondrosis in the running form
- malignant neoplasms in the spine,
- intoxication of the body,
- aortic aneurysm,
- multiple sclerosis,
- abnormalities of internal organs,
- vitamin B deficiency,
- tight underwear in women.
With this form of neuralgia, unpleasant sensations may radiate to the area of the heart, chest, shoulder blades, and often when inhaling, the left side under the ribs hurts. The severity of symptoms increases with coughing, sneezing, playing sports. The pain in intercostal neuralgia is burning. Over time, it becomes dull.
The treatment of the disease is carried out by conservative methods. The scheme of therapy depends on the cause of the development of pathology. It is important to see a doctor when the first symptoms appear, since only a specialist can distinguish neuralgia from angina and myocardial infarction.
Diseases of the respiratory system
Pain on the left under the ribs in front of inhalation may indicate the development of pleurisy or pneumonia. In the first case, the pathological process affects the lungs, in the second - the serous membrane that surrounds them.
Pneumonia is an acute infectious disease. The clinical picture and severity of symptoms directly depend on the cause, sex and age of the patient.
Common symptoms of pathology:
- Increased body temperature. The rise comes abruptly.
- General signs of intoxication (weakness, rapid onset of fatigue, headache).
- Dry cough. Appears in 3-5 days. Gradually, he goes into a wet form, accompanied by the separation of sputum.
- Pain in the chest, aggravated by inspiration. They can radiate to the left or right hypochondrium, and the pathological process can also be two-sided.
Pleurisy is a disease that, as a rule, is not of an independent nature, but accompanies a number of other pathologies of the respiratory system organs. The disease can have both dry and exudative form.
The clinical picture of the disease depends on the root cause. Common symptoms include: pain in the left or right hypochondrium, aggravated by inspiration, agonizing cough, fever, chills, weakness.
Treatment of pathology is to eliminate the underlying disease and reduce the severity of symptoms.
In humans, the diaphragm is closely connected with the central organ of the blood circulation. That is why, in the presence of cardiac pathologies, the process of inhalation of air may be accompanied by pronounced painful sensations.
As a rule, one of the forms of cardiomyopathy is diagnosed in patients in this case.The most dangerous is considered to be dilated, in which the heart becomes flabby and cannot fully perform its function. The causes of this pathology are unknown.
In addition to pain when breathing on the left under the ribs, patients complain of shortness of breath after performing any motor activity, dizziness, a constant feeling of weakness, swelling of the lower extremities, sleep disturbances, and frequent episodes of fainting.
In cardiomyopathy, symptomatic treatment is carried out. The prognosis for the presence of the disease is usually unfavorable. Until recently, the only way out for patients was a transplant of a donor organ. But the difficulty lies in the fact that the queue of patients is extremely impressive. At the same time, it is almost impossible to find a donor heart. Currently, the stem cell treatment method is used in practice.
This organ is located in the hypochondrium on the left side. The spleen is a unique repository of red blood cells. She is involved in immune processes and is involved in cleansing the liquid connective tissue from harmful substances.
When the spleen ruptures, a stabbing pain occurs when you inhale to the left under the ribs. There is damage to the abdominal cavity, blood seeps into it. Against this background, the pain when inhaling to the left under the ribs on the side is greatly increased. Over time, it covers the entire abdomen. It becomes extremely difficult for a person to swallow air.
In addition to the pain when inhaling under the rib to the left, the following symptoms are observed:
- cyanosis of the skin in the spleen,
- nausea, vomiting,
- high body temperature,
When signs of rupture of the body, you must immediately call the ambulance brigade. But even with the timely intervention of doctors, the spleen can be saved only in 1% of cases. In this regard, the main method of treatment of this condition is the complete removal of an organ.
If the left side hurts under the ribs during inhalation, this may indicate a pathology of the kidneys. The term "acute pyelonephritis" means the inflammatory process, which involves the cup-pelvis-plating system and the intermediate tissue of an organ.
The main cause of the disease is the spread of infection to the kidneys from the lower urinary tract. This occurs when there are one or more provoking factors.
- intestinal dysbiosis,
- vaginal dysbiosis, an increase in its acidity,
- hormonal imbalance,
- frequent change of sexual partners (for women)
- increased intrarenal pressure,
- ureteral strictures,
- adenoma or prostate cancer,
- stones in the ducts through which urine is excreted from the body,
- viral infections
If the left part of the organ is affected, the disease can be suspected in the presence of the following symptoms:
- Urge to urinate is becoming more frequent. In this case, urine is not allocated.
- When inhaling, the left side under the ribs hurts, the discomfort radiates to the abdominal area.
- The general state of health worsens.
- The body temperature rises.
- Feverish condition appears.
- Sweating increases.
Gradually, the pain with a deep breath on the left (under the ribs) reaches a maximum peak. Its severity decreases slightly as you exhale. Coughing, sneezing, any physical activity - all this increases the intensity of the painful sensations so much that a person may lose consciousness.
The key to successful treatment is the timely provision of medical care. The prognosis is considered favorable if the disease recedes while taking medication. According to statistics, in 30% of patients the ailment becomes chronic. At the same time, the risk of developing pathologies that pose a threat to the patient's life remains.
Gastritis, gastric ulcer
Often, when you inhale, the left side under the ribs hurts when a given organ of the digestive system is affected.
Under gastritis refers to inflammation of the gastric mucosa, against the background of which disrupts the normal functioning of the latter. The main causes of the development of the disease:
- vital activity of pathogenic microorganisms Helicobacter pylori,
- unbalanced nutrition
- excessive use of alcoholic beverages,
- taking certain medications (for example, painkillers, NSAIDs),
- helminthic invasions,
- prolonged exposure to stress
- genetic predisposition
- autoimmune diseases,
- hormonal imbalance.
There are several forms of gastritis, each of which has certain symptoms. In order to recognize the disease, it is necessary to pay attention to the nature of the painful sensations. Against the background of exacerbation of gastritis, when inhaling, pricks in the left side, under the ribs. The intensity of pain always increases after any meal, the use of alcohol-containing drinks, taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, prolonged fasting.
The treatment of gastritis of any form is carried out using conservative methods.
A gastric ulcer is a pathology of a chronic nature, resulting in trophic disorders. Change of periods of exacerbation and remission occurs very often, with relapses usually occur in spring and autumn.
Pain when inhaling in the left hypochondrium occurs due to intoxication of the body. In addition, symptoms of peptic ulcer are the following conditions:
- feeling of heaviness in the stomach after every meal,
- nausea, vomiting,
- a sharp decrease in body weight
- increased formation and accumulation of gases,
- excessive sweating,
- raid on the tongue.
Treatment pathology complex. It includes taking medication drugs, physical therapy, diet therapy. In very severe cases, surgery is performed, during which part of the stomach is removed.
Pancreatitis is most commonly diagnosed in patients. Against the background of its development, the work of the pancreas is disrupted. The disease can be both acute and chronic. In the first case, a person is disturbed by pain in the left hypochondrium, aggravated by inhalation, his appetite is disturbed, vomiting appears, body temperature rises, diarrhea or, on the contrary, constipation develops. In chronic form, patients complain of constantly feeling unwell, nausea, flatulence.
Pancreatitis treatment can include both conservative and operative methods.
If there are painful sensations in the left hypochondrium area, which are aggravated when you try to breathe in, you should contact the therapist. In case of marked deterioration of well-being, it is recommended to call the ambulance brigade. This is due to the fact that pain when breathing in the area of the left side under the ribs, as a rule, indicates the development of serious pathologies, most of which pose a threat not only to health, but also to the life of the patient.
Since the diaphragm has a close relationship with the heart, a full breath can cause severe pain in such heart diseases as:
- Cardiomyopathy - a group of myocardial diseases, which are characterized by complete or partial structural modification of the heart muscle, with large arteries and blood vessels remaining unaffected. At the same time, the myocardium is not able to fully perform its functions, provoking painful sensations during inhalation. Against the background of cardiomyopathy, a heart attack can develop, for which the first sign is the inability to inhale, as well as acute shooting through the heart, shoulder blades radiating down to the abdominal cavity, and between the ribs. There may also be pain in the left side, which increases with the vertical position of the body.
- Coronary artery disease - heart disease, accompanied by a lesion of the vascular system, because of which it is impossible to complete nutrition of the organ. It is characterized by periodic shooting pain in the left side of the sternum and side, which increases with any movement, as well as inhaling.
Usually, all respiratory diseases cause difficulty breathing, but some may accompany inhalation with significant pain on the left side of the abdominal cavity. These include such diseases as:
- Left-sided dry pleurisy - pulmonary disease, in which there is a reactive inflammatory process of the pleura with destructive processes, resulting in the deposition of fibrin to the surface. There is a dry suffocating cough, which causes a sharp pain in the left part of the hypochondrium, as well as a sharp increase in temperature up to 39 ° C. The pain intensifies not only when coughing, but also during any movements. It can spread to the left side, but most often occurs on the right.
- Left pneumonia - an infectious disease affecting not only the lungs, but also their membranes pleura. Manifested by fever, dry cough with pain, shortness of breath, increased sweating, as well as rapid painful breathing (inability to take a full breath). Inflammation of the lungs on the left side occurs less frequently than on the right side, but it is more difficult to treat.
The pain on the left under the ribs in case of trauma (fractures) of the latter is very strong and sharp. It is caused by a violation of the integrity of the bone or cartilage tissue. One or several edges may be damaged.
If there are no complications, no serious treatment will be needed. Broken ribs will heal in a few weeks and the pain will go away. But you should contact a specialist in case of injury, as damage to the lungs or spleen is possible.
Pain in the left hypochondrium may well be caused by heart diseases, such as ischemia, angina, cardiomyopathy and others. The most serious of these is myocardial infarction. The pain in this case is accompanied by the development of the pathology itself, and the state preceding it.
The accompanying signs pointing to a heart attack:
- cold sticky sweat
- sharp blanching of the face (down to cyanosis) and puffiness,
- numb hands.
The pain on the left can be given to the scapula, shoulder, neck. It is acute, burning (and not aching, as, for example, with colitis), accompanied by heaviness in the chest. If there are such symptoms, you should immediately call an ambulance, since this is a life-threatening condition.
This disease can be felt by pain in both the left and right hypochondrium. It provokes damage to the nerve endings, which causes such a symptom. The pain initially aching, and then - acute. She is one of the first signs of depriving. Characteristic rashes are found much later.
Sometimes the pain at the side above indicates one of the diseases of the lungs - dry pleurisy. Unpleasant sensations in this case appear both in front and behind. They are accompanied by obsessive cough, cyanosis of the fingers of the upper limbs and face, rapid breathing.
The pain increases with inhalation. Especially it is exacerbated when the body turns. The person tries to take a pose in which the body is tilted to the affected side. This brings him relief.
In cancer of the left lung, when the tumor grows into the pleura, pain in the chest appears. They arise, as a rule, at a late stage. The pain gives to the neck, arm and abdomen. It happens sharp, stabbing. Often wears shingles.
This symptom is accompanied by other characteristic lung cancer:
- This is primarily a cough.
- The patient suffers from a lack of appetite and is rapidly losing weight.
The signs of this pathology are in many ways similar to dry pleurisy. And pain in the left side when inhaling is one of the common symptoms. Pleurisy is often the first and only manifestation of tuberculosis, arising at its initial stage. It is diagnosed when there are foci of the disease in the lungs or lymph nodes.
Tuberculous pleurisy can be purulent. Accompanied by fever, increased sweating, shortness of breath, chills. A person loses weight dramatically.
Pain in the left hypochondrium in front - a characteristic symptom of acute appendicitis. With this pathology, it is acute, cutting. Strengthens during movement. Disperses to the sides, reaching the navel.
Pain accompanied by colic and flatulence. After an emptying of the intestine, the condition improves, but soon the attack recurs. If appendicitis is suspected, medical assistance is immediately required.
When perforated gastric ulcer can also hurt under the left edge in front. This symptom is preceded by signs characteristic of colitis (flatulence, bloating). Then the pain overtakes the person, she is a dagger, strong. Sometimes tolerant, and sometimes capable of causing loss of consciousness, can shift slightly to the right.
Often, pain occurs after eating. Accompanied by other symptoms: nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, belching with an unpleasant aftertaste. If there is a cutting, stabbing pain, and a history of gastric ulcer, urgent hospitalization is necessary.
When periodically hurts in the left side from above, gastritis can be suspected. The discomfort is also felt in the abdomen. The pain is not acute - aching, radiating under the scapula. Arises, as a rule, after eating, and then subsides. Often does not bring a person special discomfort, so many for a long time do not attach importance to it. And the disease is progressing in the meantime.
Pain with gastritis is accompanied by periodic nausea, heartburn, unpleasant belching, vomiting, problems with the stool (constipation or diarrhea), weakness, pallor of the skin. When moving, turning the body, as well as on a deep breath, pain in the stomach and above may increase. Many manifestations are similar to signs of colitis, therefore gastritis is differentiated in the first place with this disease.
The pancreas is located in the left side, and in the pathologies of this organ, there is often pain in the hypochondrium. This is one of the most common symptoms of pancreatitis. The pain is shingles. It is unsharp, aching, often quite strong. Intensity increases with inspiration. A person has to "fold" in half to alleviate the condition.
Pain usually occurs after a feast. Especially plentiful and with the use of strong drinks. With pancreatic inflammation, it is accompanied by nausea, vomiting with bile, heartburn. Urine becomes dark, and feces acquire an abnormally light shade. In acute attacks, the temperature may rise.
Another organ to the left is the spleen. It is closest to the surface of the body, so any abnormal processes occurring in it, immediately make themselves felt. Disorders of the spleen often occur after or during infectious diseases, since this organ is responsible for filtering blood from dead red blood cells. It greatly increases in size, fighting the virus, which explains the discomfort.
Sometimes the spleen is damaged by the ribs as a result of injury. There is its gap. In such cases, the pain appears not only with a sigh or movement, but also by itself. She is very strong, difficult to tolerate, gives back.
Pathologies of the spleen are often accompanied by fever, inflammation of the regional lymph nodes, headaches, and enlarged liver.When an organ is ruptured, blue skin occurs in the region of the navel. If such symptoms are present, it is urgent to seek medical attention.
What to do when such pain occurs
When a person in the left hypochondrium appears in pain when inhaling, it is recommended not to take the time and go to the medical institution in order to establish its correct cause. The following doctors deal with the diagnosis of this condition:
It is strictly forbidden to engage in self-medication because it will worsen the general condition and provoke the appearance of various complications. Need to know when to go to a medical facility. There are situations when you cannot ignore pain. First aid should be called in such cases:
- aching pain that lasts for an hour,
- dull pain accompanied by coughing and vomiting (often with blood)
- stabbing pain, not passing more than half an hour and intensifying,
- sudden acute pain.
So, we have considered the most common situations in which there is pain in the left hypochondrium during a deep breath. It can also occur when moving, coughing, sneezing and even at rest.. In most cases, serious dysfunctions of vital organs such as the heart, stomach, lungs, pancreas, spleen become the cause of pain.
And sometimes we are talking about critical conditions when a person needs help urgently. Therefore, if the chest pain on the left, to endure and wait, that by itself will pass, you can not. It is necessary to contact a doctor as soon as possible, establish the cause and eliminate it, until unwanted complications and consequences appear.
Often, pain in the left upper quadrant when inhaling is a symptom of cardiac pathologies - cardiomyopathy or ischemic disease, for example. Pain can occur as during any load, and in a state of rest. The characteristic manifestations of these diseases are also a feeling of burning and heaviness in the chest, tachycardia.