Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional pathology that is chronic. The peculiarity of the violation is that its symptoms are recurrent in nature and appear from time to time, depending on external factors.
Pain and discomfort in the abdomen, the need to frequent the toilet, diarrhea and constipation - all these signs suggest that the patient develops irritable bowel syndrome. Treatment of the disease must be made necessarily. Otherwise, this condition can lead to serious consequences for the body.
Irritable bowel syndrome, the causes of which can be very diverse, is diagnosed only if its inherent clinical picture appears for at least 12 months.
The main signs of pathology:
- difficulty in emptying (the need for a bowel movement occurs less often than 3 times in 7 days),
- loose and frequent stools (the patient is forced to visit the toilet 3 or more times a day),
- muscle tension of the sphincter and abdominal cavity during toilet visits,
- imperative urge requiring urgent emptying
- sensation of residual feces in the large intestine,
- presence of mucus in feces.
These are only the most common complaints of patients diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. Symptoms of the disorder are more acute if a person is under stress.
As mentioned above, the disease is not biological, but functional. The following facts in support of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation or diarrhea speak in favor of this statement:
- the different nature of patient complaints
- repeated appeals to the hospital,
- non-progressive pathogenesis,
- preservation of body weight.
It is difficult to diagnose irritable bowel syndrome, since its symptoms are similar to some other pathologies that occur in the human gastrointestinal tract. To distinguish between the described states, which is extremely necessary for the choice of options for getting rid of the ailment, many diagnostic procedures are used:
- ultrasound (US) examination of the organs and systems of the abdominal cavity,
- study of biopaths of the intestinal system,
The results of laboratory studies of biological specimens of feces, blood and urine and recommendations obtained after colonosigoscopy are also taken into account.
All this complex allows to establish with sufficient accuracy the signs accompanying irritable bowel syndrome. How to treat the pathology described?
The choice of certain physiological and medicinal procedures directly depends on the symptoms of the disorder. Various types of diets and psychotherapeutic methods are widely used. The need for the appointment of pharmacological agents is determined individually, based on the external manifestations of the disease. Mainly used:
- antispasmodic drugs
- antidiarrheal drugs
- laxative pills
Types of violation
Irritable bowel syndrome in women and men is divided into two main types.
1. Pathology, accompanied by constipation. It has the following features:
- difficulty defecating
- feces coming out of the anus, has a solid texture,
- retention of residues of vital activity in the rectum.
2. Violation, combined with diarrhea. It is characterized by:
- loose stools
- sphincter tension when going to the toilet,
- secretion of mucus from the anus.
What is irritable bowel?
When there is no infectious (bacterial, viral, fungal) or immune inflammation in the intestinal wall, when it is not affected by protozoa or is not populated with helminths, is free from tumors and anatomical anomalies, but the person is occasionally disturbed by stool disorders and pain - this is irritable bowel syndrome . Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are also not accompanied by any changes in blood and stool tests.
Most often this pathology affects people after 20 years, 40% of patients aged 35-50 years. The prevalence of the syndrome is 15–25% of women and 5–18% of men. Moreover, 60% of patients do not seek medical help, 12% turn to general practitioners, 28% - to gastroenterologists.
Why does IBS occur?
There is no single universal reason for the development of irritable bowel syndrome.
It is noticed that the pathology occurs with increased excitability of the nervous system against the background of chronic stresses (therefore, young people and women are more often sick). At the same time, a vicious circle occurs when an unfavorable emotional background causes irritation of the intestines, and the disease itself drives the patient into depression, against the background of which other organs and systems begin to suffer. In some patients with IBS, psychopathies and neuroses are detected by a neuropsychologist.
Doctors jokingly call IBS - “irritable head syndrome”, because in addition to the main symptoms, signs of disruption of the autonomic and central nervous system are often found.
- Intestinal Motility Disorder
Also among the causes of the development of the syndrome were identified motility disorders of the intestine and shifts in the transmission of the nerve impulses to the intestinal muscles, which cause the intestines to contract. At the same time, there are no violations in the intestinal wall or in the nervous apparatus of the intestine, but there is a periodic deregulation of contractions and relaxations.
- Patients also have an increased sensitivity to overflow and distention of the bowel. Increased pain sensitivity.
- There is also a certain relationship with the hormonal background. Thus, in women, the last day of the cycle and the first days of menstruation can be combined with diarrhea and intestinal pains against the background of a temporary increase in the blood of prostaglandin E.
- Unusual, over-fatty or high-calorie foods can also cause symptoms of intestinal upset. From drinks, alcohol, coffee, tea and sweet drinks have the provocative properties.
- Hereditary predisposition is also not discounted: the syndrome is more often seen in people whose parents suffered from this disorder.
- Intestinal infections are the trigger of IBS in 30% of patients
- Dysbacteriosis and lack of ballast substances in the diet also lead to the development of irritable bowel syndrome.
Option in which among the symptoms in the first place diarrhea (diarrhea)
- At the same time, there is a pronounced urge to defecate immediately after or even during meals, and this pattern is repeated several times a day. More typical for this morning and morning.
- Sometimes loose stools occur with a strong emotional arousal or feelings, fears. In the people, this condition is known as “bear disease”, because it is the brown forest dwellers who react by involuntary defecation to fear or danger.
- Also with this variant of IBS, bloating is observed, pain in the lateral parts of the abdomen below the navel, which precede the sudden urge and decrease after relief.
Option with a predominance of constipation
All the same swelling and pain along the colon, but accompanied by a delay in the chair for more than 3 days. Pain may occur in the form of intestinal colic or have a long aching nature, subsides somewhat after emptying the intestines. The chair often changes shape, becomes more dense in the form of “sheep's feces” and has an admixture of transparent or white mucus.
Against the background of stool delays, digestive disorders may also appear in the form of appetite disturbances, nausea, heartburn, unpleasant taste in the mouth.
The third option is the alternation of diarrhea and constipation.
The variant of IBS, in which abdominal pain and alternation of constipation or diarrhea become the leading, is the third type of syndrome.
Thus, the following symptoms are characteristic of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Stitching, aching, or cramping abdominal pain, discomfort that diminish or disappear after bowel movement.
- Stool disorders (diarrhea, constipation, or alternation)
- Feeling impossible to contain the urge to stool
- Feeling of incomplete bowel emptying
- Bloating, flatulence (causes)
- Mucus secretion during bowel movements
How to diagnose IBS
Since with this pathology no significant changes can be found either in the analyzes, or with X-rays or biopsy, the doctors at the conference in Rome agreed that:
Signs of irritable bowel syndrome will be considered: pain or discomfort in the intestine, if they annoy a patient for at least 3 days a month for the past 6 months and are combined with improvement after a bowel movement, started simultaneously with a change in the frequency or shape and appearance of the stool.
Auxiliary features are:
- deviations in stool frequency - feces less than 3 times a week (constipation) or more often 3 times a day (diarrhea)
- reshaping stools: rough, hard or foamy, watery
- abnormal defecation: straining or urgent urge to use the toilet
Due to the fact that the main symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are not specific, it is very important to exclude other more serious diseases and intestinal lesions before making a diagnosis of IBS. Therefore, patients with complaints of instability of the chair, pain and bloating in the stomach are prescribed:
- general and biochemical blood tests
- if necessary, rectoromanoscopy and irrigoscopy are performed
- according to the testimony performed biopsy of the intestinal wall
Almost 90% of patients after going to the doctor and examinations adapt to their condition, independently cope with the symptoms and consider themselves healthy people. But 10% go in cycles, considering themselves hopelessly ill, turn to all specialists, insist on numerous studies and therapeutic measures that do not bring them relief, which convinces them even more of their severe pathology and this state of patients often leads to their social isolation.
Symptoms that should be alarming because they are not characteristic of irritable bowel syndrome:
- if the disease started in old age
- if symptoms progress
- if acute symptoms appear - IBS is not acute, it is a chronic disease
- symptoms appear at night
- weight loss, loss of appetite
- bleeding from the anus
- diarrhea with pain
- steatorrhea (fat in feces)
- high body temperature
- fructose intolerance and lactose intolerance (see lactase deficiency), gluten intolerance (see symptoms of celiac disease).
- the presence of inflammatory bowel disease or cancer in relatives
The following conditions and diseases necessarily enter differential diagnostic search, as they have some common symptoms:
Physiological conditions of women
- alcohol, coffee, gas products
- fatty food
- plentiful feast
- unusual food (travel, business trip)
- iron preparations, antibiotics, potassium preparations, bile acids, mesoprostol, etc.
Fright, anxiety, prolonged intellectual overstrain, but after resting and relieving stress, the symptoms disappear.
- PMS (symptoms, treatment)
- climax in women
Neuroendocrine tumors of the digestive tract
- intestinal diverticulosis
- colorectal cancer
- intestinal tuberculosis
- Crohn's disease
- intestinal infections (salmonellosis, dysentery, intestinal flu, etc.)
- nonspecific ulcerative colitis
- microscopic colitis
- worm infestations (roundworm, pinworms in adults, worms in humans)
- short bowel syndrome
- early-stage carcinoid syndrome
Usually occur under the mask of pain or diarrhea form of IBS
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
Since the manifestations of irritable bowel syndrome are quite diverse, but there are no painful changes in the intestine itself, the treatment will mostly be reduced to suppressing the prevailing symptoms of the pathology.
But, before taking up drugs, it is worth recalling the teachings of Academician Pavlov and his theory of the duty of the unhealthy central nervous system in all ailments. If the popularity of this theory has faded away for today, then only not in the case of IBS. Here, the academic research of the academician is fully supported by practical medicine, which has shown a beneficial effect on the course of IBS of various activities that normalize the psycho-emotional state of patients.
Therefore, if a person suffering from irritable bowel syndrome is not able to cope with chronic stress, troubles at work or in the family, then he should seek qualified psychological help. If the matter has already gone far, and there is a phobic disorder caused by the fear of pain, involuntary defecation or somatized depression, then we will have to fight with this first of all, turning to psychiatrists and neuropathologists.
In milder cases, before starting medication, it is recommended:
- redefine lifestyle
- adjust power mode
- give up alcohol and tobacco
- walk and do more physical work
This complex of simple measures helps to balance the nervous system and relieves the intestines from the unnecessary influence of too “twisted” head.
Medical nutrition for IBS is not required, or rather, it is inappropriate to focus on the preparation of some special dishes and counting the calories and nutritional value of food eaten. It is more important to establish regular meals in moderate portions in a relaxed atmosphere. It also makes sense to limit the products that provoke:
- diarrhea - products that increase motility in diarrhea - apples, plums, fiber, beets
- gas formation - pastries, legumes, cabbage, grapes, nuts
- constipation - fat and fried with constipation
In case of intolerance to milk sugar, milk is replaced by kefir, ryazhenka and yogurt, for celiac disease, products with gluten are excluded (see list of gluten-containing products). Reduce the consumption of sugary soda and chewing gum. It is recommended to take prophylactic courses to take drugs that normalize the intestinal flora (Linex, Bifidumbacterin, see the full list of probiotics, Linex analogues), since dysbiosis in the intestine may increase the manifestations of IBS.
Treatment of IBS with diarrhea
If the stool cannot be adjusted, and the pain and intestinal discomfort is seasoned with frequent bowel movements, the urge to which can arise anywhere and at any time, it is time to take for a serious treatment. But, it should be remembered that under the mask of diarrhea many intestinal infections are hidden (see symptoms of food poisoning), therefore, it is better to trust the competent gastroenterologist to diagnose irritable bowel syndrome. This will relieve unnecessary problems and extra cash costs.
Constantly taking medication for IBS is impossible and dangerous. Medicines are prescribed only for periods of exacerbations when the patient’s condition suffers:
- Before meals, it is possible to prescribe Diphenoxylate, Loperamide (Imodium 180-250 rubles, Diara 100 rubles, Lopedium 30 rubles, Loperamide 20 rubles) up to 2-3 times per day.These drugs significantly slow down intestinal motility (see drugs for diarrhea).
- Smecta gives a good effect (instruction)
- From herbal remedies - pomegranate peel, sweet cherry, cherry fruit, alder - in the form of decoctions
- As well as sorbents - Polysorb, Polifan, Filtrum STI, Enterosgel.
- Even with this variant of IBS, serotonin receptor modulator Alosetron is used.
If there is constipation
- Preferred agents for IBS, which increase the volume of intestinal contents: on the basis of the flea plantain (Naturolax, Mukofalk 350 rubles, Solgar Psillium 1200 rubles, Metamucil, Fayberlex 150 rubles, Ispagol 250 rubles), agar, kelp and synthetic cellulose (Citrucel, Polycarbophil, Fiber (Fibercon) act after 10 hours from the reception.
- Lactulose - in the variant with stool delays, the gold standard shown to patients of any age is polyatomic lactulose alcohol (Duphalac, Normase, Romfalak, Portolac, Goodluck). Not absorbed in the intestine and without irritating its mucous membrane, the drug solves problems with the stool.
- Polyethylene glycol - other drugs from the group of osmotic laxatives have a similar effect and begin to work after 3-6 hours (Macrogol, Forlax 200 rub, Fortrans 500 rub, Lavacol 200 rub. Tranzileg, Osmogol, Relaxax) and lactiol (Expal).
- Emollient laxatives - plant and petroleum jelly, Norgalax, Sodium Picosulfate (Guttasil, Laxigal 350 rub, Guttalaks drops 300 rub, Regulax Picosulfate 150 rub. Slabikap, Slabilen drops 100 rub).
- Effective and serotonin modulators Tegaserod, Prukaloprid.
- Weaken mineral water with magnesium ions - Essentuki number 17, etc.
For more information about all drugs for constipation, see the article Laxatives for constipation.
From pain and cramps
- Anticholinergic agents (Hyoscyamine, Darfenacin and Zamifenacin) are used along with classical antispasmodics (No-spaa and Drotaverine Hydrochloride).
- Calcium channel blockers (Spasmomene, Dicitel) and Debridat's motor controller reduce pain.
- Antifoaming agents (Espumizan, Dimethicone, Zeolat, Polysilan) break gas bubbles. Since pain is often the result of stretching the bowel with gases, remedies for metorism can also help with IBS.
Antidepressants for IBS
The fact that stool disorders and recurrent episodes of abdominal pain in IBS - often the result of deeply hidden psychological problems - have long been known. In turn, irritable bowel syndrome itself can even depress a completely balanced person into a depressive state. Therefore, tricyclic antidepressants are increasingly used to treat this disease.
The mechanism of action of these drugs in this case comes down to suppressing the excessive influence of the cortex on the perception of pain, as well as normalizing the supply of nerve impulses from the brain and spinal cord to the intestine, which reduces its uneven contractions leading to pain and impaired stool.
- Traditionally, the appointment of amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, imipramine, trimipramine.
- Today, preference is given to monoamine oxidase inhibitors: Befol, Pyrazidol, Fenelzin, Moclobemide, which is more mild in psycho-somatic disorders.
IBS and dysbiosis
The course of irritable bowel syndrome may be weighed down by concomitant dysbacteriosis of the gastrointestinal tract. At the same time, excessive growth of pathogenic microorganisms and a lack of lacto- and bifidumbacteria contribute to the worsening of pain, swelling and disorders of the stool. Therefore, it makes sense to focus on the treatment of intestinal dysbiosis.
First you need to suppress harmful bacteria:
- For this traditionally used derivatives of nitrofurans: Furazolidone, Enterofuril, Stop-diar. The course lasts from 5 to 7 days.
- In milder forms, probiotics with the antibacterial action of Enterol, Baktisuptil, and bacteriophages are used.
- According to the indications, it is possible to use fluoroquinolones (Ciprofloxacin, Cefloxacin), Metronidazole (Trichopolus), intestinal antiseptic Intetrix, intestinal antimicrobial drug Rifaximin (Alpha Normix).
Enterosorbents are used in the complex therapy: Laktofiltrum, Filtrum, Enterosgel.
Then comes the turn of eubiotics (drugs containing various combinations of lacto, bifidobacteria, enterococci and Escherichia coli) and prebiotics, creating conditions for the nutrition of beneficial microbes.
- In the first group, Linex, Premadophilus, Bifidumbacterin, Normoflorin, Bifikol are most effective (see all probiotics, list). The course of eubiotics should be at least 4 weeks.
- Of the second group, prebiotics are most often used - Lactulose and Hilak-forte.
Folk treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
In folk medicine, treatment of intestinal disorders takes a significant place. Previously, in this way, they tried to get rid of any intestinal discomfort, without analyzing what was its real cause. Since transient functional disturbances are the basis of IBS, it is quite possible to treat it using folk methods. The main thing is to know when to stop.
- The most effective way is aromatherapy using peppermint oil, which soothes the intestines and relieves a person from spasms.
- Inside it is customary to take infusions and decoctions of chamomile, oak bark. Fennel seeds, dill water, mint, chamomile, cumin seeds and anise drops, valerian root, save from spastic pains.
- For constipation, buckthorn bark, licorice root, yarrow are used (see how to get rid of constipation at home).
- The soft stool stops the roots of silverweed, serpentine and burnet, plantain, blueberries, sage leaves and walnut.
Another interesting way to normalize the work of the intestines is a special therapeutic gymnastics, forcing the intestines to work in the correct mode. It is important that during classes there is a sufficient flow of fresh air. It soothes the central nervous system and reduces its effect on the internal organs. Effective various stretching for the spine (yoga, Pilates), walking at an average pace and a bicycle. Swedish scientists from the University of Gettenberg during experimental observations of volunteers proved that more than half of patients with IBS can significantly reduce the symptoms of the disease, devoting moderate physical activity from half an hour to 60 minutes a day for 3-5 days a week.
This is a great way to calm the nervous system and intestines without antidepressants. It is important that during the sessions the patient has a positive attitude towards achieving a result. At the same time group lessons have a greater therapeutic effect than individual attempts.
Thus, in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, a set of medications that relieve the leading symptoms is not as important as a measured rhythm of life, a philosophical attitude to everyday storms and a positive attitude towards recovery, which is not only desirable but also possible.
Please accept my deep gratitude for clear and clear information on intestinal problems. Now I have an understanding of what tests are needed in the future and methods of treatment. In the case of contacting a commercial clinic, I will no longer suspect that they want to persuade me to pay for a large amount of research to clarify the diagnosis. Thanks again for helping us understand these health problems.
I have all come together right)))) This is IBS. Because I can not understand what is happening, the examination has passed - everything is in order, and diarrhea is very often, especially when I'm nervous, thanks for the article))
I had src and it's terrible. All because of a nervous breakdown ... I had constipation and spasms, so the doctor prescribed a trimedat. The tablets acted, the intestines finally “relaxed” ... It stopped “turning” the stomach, the spasms went away ... it became easier to go to the toilet, and the pain went away when going to the toilet ...
Tell me the remedy completely helped you and finally everything passed?
Hello. After you drank Trimedat you go to the toilet once? Not like with IBS in the morning several times?
Can I contact this doctor?
we have IBS / diarrhea for several years, nobody treats us.
help me please,
Good, good article!
Thank! Is the question finally cured?
Has anyone ever treated IBS with diarrhea?
I have been suffering from this for several years now. I am very suspicious. fantasy without limit) another attack after childbirth on the background of postpartum depression. The whole problem is largely out of my head. Nevertheless, with such a diagnosis, periodically nad undergo endoscopic examination.
If src is accompanied with flatulence, what equipment should help?
Nothing helps me.
A really good article, I learned a lot about this disease. I myself have many similar symptoms, I can’t diagnose it, of course, but it’s very similar to IBS. Sometimes I accept no-shpu, but stomach cramps all the same come back.
What a good article, I even now decided what I have. Now you just have to decide how to treat, I don’t seem nervous, there’s no stress, so there’s no need to calm down. I don’t have any confidence in popular methods; maybe someone knows an effective drug from this torture?
Good article, thanks, everything is so detailed and clearly written! This year I had a lot of stress on my gut. At first I picked up some kind of bacterium and had a wild bitterness in my mouth, was treated with antibiotics. Then I went to India and brought Staphylococcus aureus, two doctors gave me IBS, I also had diarrhea, flatulence, bowel discomfort, I lost weight, the treatment did not help. And only when I went through the paid diagnostics (I had to give a lot of money: ((() found my illness, my cocci. And recently there was a good stress and then it started again: discomfort, spasms, diarrhea, but the discomfort is different, now I think that IBS and came to me. I will try to undergo treatment according to the previous scheme, which I was prescribed for IBS (duspatazolin, cholezim and Linex). It would be nice to see a doctor, but I'm afraid I will have to pay again a lot of money ... doctor, can it still not IBS !? All the health! And not ner nica!
I have been suffering from IBS for five years (diarrhea), underwent several complete examinations of the intestines and stomach, lay in the gastroinstitute, the result is one, the disease has remained as it is. It is not possible to cure the disease completely. But I do not lose hope. My case with persistent diarrhea. Imitium Imitium periodically, it allows you to live a normal life, but pain and swelling are constantly tormented. Acute episodes help relieve duspatalin with rioflora. There is a doctor in Moscow, I will not advertise him (the TELT clinic) who knows a lot about IBS, prescribes a long course of drugs for 2-3 months, after which IBS goes almost completely but then comes back. As the doctor says, remission at 1 year is very good, but I have only had about 6 months so far. Unfortunately, drugs have to drink a lot, it makes me worried. He passed the courses of treatment at the nervopathologist, prescribed tranquilizers, and it helped a lot .... but then it all starts again when you stop drinking pills. For myself, I decided that I would not live on tranquilizers. In one American clinic they suggested: if you want to get rid of IBS, completely change your lifestyle. They are sure that IBS is a headache, the causes of the disease are largely depression, apathy and other diseases that affect vegetation, so the wrong signals from the brain are sent to the intestines and it starts to work incorrectly: shrink and spasm. Roughly speaking, they told me so, until you are happy in life, this disease will haunt you.
I like to read your problems in your comment. constant diarrhea, the last three months, the pain appeared. I drink a huge amount of drugs, but nothing helps. I sit on a strict diet, it is useless. In general, I have been suffering from intestines since childhood. Yesterday, antidepressants were advised me, and after reading your comment, I was convinced that I could not do without him.
I suffered for many years, a gastroenterologist 4 years ago prescribed a blood test for food intolerance igg4, having learned the cost of analysis, I decided to let the stomach get better)))
Last year, MS was diagnosed with MS and a neurologist recommended the Embry diet. Diet is primarily based on the exclusion of products that are not digested and cause the destruction of the intestines and the occurrence of autoimmune diseases. So after 3 years, I still defined my list of intolerances. The list of products each has its own, determined by a blood test igg4. The topic is very complex and extensive, look for topics on the Internet: food intolerance and leaky intestines. Diet must be kept for life. I would be glad if this advice will help.
Bear disease ...! recently manifests itself increasingly covering more and more people ... ..
It must be admitted that the "social burden" is one of the first factors of this pathology, but not the only one (the article already mentioned this ... .. a number of moments accompanying and triggering the pathology ... ..1. include disruption of the flora after intensive or frequent use of antibiotics, and even years earlier (I will not describe the mechanism and alignment) from here ... 2. as a result, a decrease in immunity with a stable picture of a shift in the balance towards an increase in the activity of the opportunistic flora (while in many clinical tests only the picture of changes in which indicators do not go beyond the norm,, are usually located at the upper boundaries, which is often not taken into account by experts or misinterpreted) 3. Decrease in general physical activity and loss of life rhythm and psychological tone 4. chronic dental and ENT infections, especially gemolytic streptococcus and often Staphylococcus aureus (again, as a consequence of a decrease in local and general immunity) strongly affects the balance of the intestinal flora, its musculature and the entire physiology of the gastrointestinal tract as a whole ... .. as a consequence states will transform into other pathologies ... ... .5. sometimes randomly acquired non-specific microorganisms can be a factor, but they are usually more easily diagnosed and eliminated by theropy. Now the specifics ... ...! in addition to generally accepted methods of treatment of IBS, I can voice in addition the following .... if there are no infections and other pathologies, and the gastrointestinal disorder has a place to be ... and ... if you do not have a bias then blow to the grandmother's plot very often in psychoteropia a positive result .... if there is any bias towards such a decision, you can use the services of a psychoteropector, who likes it .... this is in addition to the main accepted treatment regimens .. but often it helps and even better ....! Next of the herbs I recommend drinking tea from decoction of horse sorrel seeds (from a week to a month, depending on the result) two glasses per day of average steepness. ....... and the last ... for those who are able to .... unequivocally swing the abdominal press on the wall or crossbar in case it is difficult for someone to lay on the floor with appropriate exercises ... .. It helps a lot from bloating personally checked .... Well, of course, you need to consult with a specialist and it may be necessary to make individual adjustments to the treatment ... .. in general ... .. A very calm bowel in this sense ...!
Why the intestine is lazy
IBS is popularly called lazy or leaky bowel syndrome. Peristalsis decreases, resulting in constipation, which can alternate with liquid mucous stools.Because of stress, the sensitivity of pain receptors increases, and it is psycho-emotional instability that leads to a disorder in the work of the stomach and intestines. This confirms the fact that people with IBS after effective psychotherapy almost completely got rid of irritable bowel symptoms.
Contribute to the progression of the disease violations of the principles of healthy eating:
- predominance in the diet of fast food products that do not contain plant fiber - the basis for the growth of beneficial microflora,
- large intervals between meals, leading to stagnation of bile and the creation of factors contributing to the chronic course of the inflammatory process of the mucous membrane of the digestive tract,
- alcohol abuse, strong coffee, which, if excessive intake can irritate the intestines,
- frequent consumption of spicy, spicy, canned food.
Until now, experts have not been able to accurately study the mechanism of the development of IBS. The dependence of the clinical course of the disease on stress resistance is traced. In many patients with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, depression, phobias, insomnia, and neurotic disorders are additionally detected. Intestinal infections, especially dysentery and salmonellosis, can be attributed to predisposing factors.
Inflamed bowel syndrome is considered a female disease, although men also suffer from this pathology. The exacerbation of the disease is noted shortly before menstruation, which suggests a connection between IBS and changes in hormonal levels.
Women have certain features of the nervous system. Its function is strongly influenced by the production of estrogen and other sex hormones. A further reduction in stress resistance is the main cause of irritable bowel syndrome in women. Therefore, today, the treatment of IBS is not considered separately from the psycho-correction and elimination of factors leading to neurotic disorders.
Irritable bowel syndrome can be the result of aggressive cleansing of the body and treatment of constipation. Due to frequent enemas, the beneficial microflora is washed out, which is replaced by potentially dangerous microorganisms that cause a chronic inflammatory process. Against the background of taking laxative drugs and performing clipping, the intestine begins to "be lazy." And the broken microflora does not allow him to restore his work.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children
IBS in children is found in most cases with chronic abdominal pain. The disease is accompanied by constipation or diarrhea. Diarrhea occurs in the morning after breakfast, there are also frequent urges to have a bowel movement during the day.
If a child complains of abdominal pain in a dull character, be sure to show it to a pediatrician or a gastroenterologist. With timely initiated treatment, functional disorders can be suppressed, and normal intestinal motility can be restored. Otherwise, the disease becomes chronic.
It is extremely important from childhood to teach children to proper nutrition, the value of home healthy food, eating vegetable salads, fruits, homemade compotes. This is the basis of the health of the digestive tract in the future.
Symptoms of the disease
What are the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome in women and men? The disease has a variety of clinical manifestations. The main changes affect primarily the frequency and nature of the chair.
The main symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome:
- constipation, which can alternate with diarrhea,
- intermittent pain in the lower abdomen of dull and aching nature, which decreases after stool,
- increased gas formation,
- nausea, belching,
- pain in the right hypochondrium,
- chilliness of the limbs
- discomfort during sleep on the left side,
- reduced immunity
- irritability, sleep disturbance.
The average age of people with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome is 25-40 years. The diagnosis is made mainly on the basis of complaints: frequent abdominal pain for 6 months or more, appearing at least 3 times a month, painful spasms before stool. Also, patients with IBS must be prescribed a comprehensive examination.
What should be tested
A comprehensive examination allows you to assess the condition of the intestines, determine the associated pathology of the digestive system, in order to prescribe the most effective treatment.
Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome includes the following methods:
- blood biochemistry
- fecal occult blood
- feces on dysbiosis,
- bakposev feces,
- feces on helminth eggs,
- Abdominal ultrasound,
- irrigoscopy, radiographic examination of the intestine, computed tomography,
- colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy.
Instrumental research methods make it possible to eliminate organic disturbances in the intestinal function and confirm the functional nature of the disease. Additionally, it may be necessary to consult a psychotherapist, especially if the patient is acutely aware of his condition, exaggerates the influence of the disease on the quality of life, and invents non-existent pathologies.
I recommend to watch this video, where experts understand the nature of IBS, talk about the symptoms and treatment of the disease.
How to treat irritable bowel syndrome
Due to the widespread prevalence, IBS is considered a medical and social problem. Studies have shown that with this disease, the quality of life is almost the same as in patients with diabetes and hypertension. A person is frightened by the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, the treatment of which requires a serious change in lifestyle and diet. This is precisely what many patients are not psychologically prepared for.
But without treatment, irritable bowel syndrome will progress further. Unfortunately, only 30% of patients turn to specialists with this pathology. In many chronic intestinal spasms lead to increased signs of depression, spoil the character, especially for women over 45 years old who are entering a period of menopausal changes.
So, how to treat irritable bowel syndrome? The first step is to go to a therapist or psychotherapist. As a rule, the help of different specialists is required to eliminate the symptoms of lazy bowel syndrome and treatment.
The psychotherapist corrects the psychological state of the patient, which leads to functional disorders of the digestive tract. The therapist prescribes medications for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, selects a therapeutic diet and monitors the patient's condition through regular examinations.
The basic principles of the treatment of IBS:
- elimination of factors that disturb psycho-emotional balance, lead to nervous experiences, fears and irritability,
- the use of symptomatic means to eliminate spastic pain, flatulence, restore normal stools and intestinal microflora,
- dieting, refusal of prohibited foods that irritate the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract and can provoke the appearance of new pain.
IBS is sometimes called excess bacterial growth syndrome in the intestines. In some patients, dysbacteriosis and associated inflammatory processes of the gastrointestinal organs are detected. Disruption of beneficial microflora as a result of poor nutrition, stress, taking antibiotics and other serious drugs does not completely cure irritable bowel syndrome. Therefore, treatment must include the appointment of probiotics and prebiotics. These drugs take a course of several months.
Medications for irritable bowel syndrome combined with a diet. One of the modern drugs to combat IBS is Colofort. The drug has a complex effect on the work of the digestive tract, normalizes the nervous and humoral regulation of the intestine, reduces the sensitivity of its receptors to stretching, and restores normal motility. Colofort not only reduces spasms, flatulence, but also eliminates internal stress, anxiety, affecting not only the symptoms of the disease, but also the mechanisms of its development.
Aromatherapy and physiotherapy
In severe anxiety, sleep disorders may be prescribed sedatives. Begin treatment with herbal remedies that act gently and are not addictive. Aromatherapy can be used to relieve anxiety. Increase stress resistance, well soothe the nerves of the essential oils of ylang-ylang, jasmine and neroli. They are recommended to be used at bedtime or with sea salt for aromatic baths.
From physiotherapy, you can use reflexology, electric, relaxing massage of the cervical-collar area. Potent drugs for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome prescribed with the permission of a doctor and for certain indications. It is always better to start therapy with light sedatives, moving to tranquilizers only in the absence of the expected effect after a few months of regular medication.
How long do I have to treat irritable bowel syndrome?
The duration of treatment for IBS depends on the severity of the clinical manifestations of the disease and the general condition of the digestive tract. Usually drug therapy lasts for 3-4 months. At the same time, the patient is advised to constantly follow a diet, not to drink alcohol and to avoid traumatic factors.
How dangerous is irritable bowel syndrome?
Irritable bowel syndrome progresses slowly, but has a long chronic course. The nature of the disease depends on his perception of a sick person. Mild abdominal pain can be stopped by antispasmodics, in a short time almost completely get rid of pain and flatulence, restore the normal intestinal microflora. But anxiety reduces the functional activity of the gastrointestinal tract. But in general, IBS is not accompanied by life-threatening complications, if there is no concomitant organic pathology.
Can irritable bowel syndrome appear during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, the hormone progesterone is secreted, which reduces intestinal motility and relaxes the muscle tissues of many internal organs. Therefore, pregnant women suffer from constipation, flatulence, recurrent pain in the abdomen. This condition may not be associated with irritable bowel syndrome. It is recommended to wait for the delivery, and if the pathological symptoms persist, undergo a comprehensive examination and begin appropriate treatment.
And for the soul, we will listen to one beautiful melody. Her friends sent me. A quiet melody of the soul - so beautiful everything. I hope you rest and listen with pleasure.
Characteristic features of the disease
Irritable bowel syndrome is an intestinal lesion, characterized by the occurrence of an upset digestive process in a given area. Along with this, all the functions accompanying it cease to be performed in the intestine. When a patient develops irritable bowel syndrome in the body, no development of processes affecting this area is observed. The disease develops rather slowly and in the early stages is not noticeable for the patient. Pains come much later. They are characterized by:
- The occurrence of flatulence,
- Feeling of discomfort in the abdomen,
- The development of pain,
- The emergence of rumbling,
- Increased diarrhea and constipation
- Manifestation of feelings of incomplete intestinal emptying.
The disease is characterized by impaired normal stools, alternating manifestations of constipation and diarrhea. In addition, the patient often has a feeling of urging to stool. According to statistical studies, this disease covers 15 to 30 percent of the world's population. The disease is not quite common and therefore not all of this contingent go for help to a medical institution. Many prefer to silently endure all the pain, this syndrome.
The female body is subject to the development of irritable bowel syndrome much more than the male body. Both those and others are in no hurry to seek help with this disease to the doctor, considering the disease is not the worst. Most often this syndrome is exposed to people who are in adulthood. Starting from 25 to 40 years, irritable bowel syndrome develops and progresses. Practically this disease does not occur in individuals who have stepped over a sixty-year milestone. Irritation of the intestine is quite common among the able-bodied population of our planet.
With the development of this syndrome in humans, there are failures in the work of the motor functionality in all the digestive organs. In this case, patients often complain of arising pain in the abdomen, which may be accompanied by diarrhea or the occurrence of constipation. The disease is quite insidious and requires the help of an experienced doctor.
Signs of disease
Irritable bowel syndrome is common in young people.
Irritable bowel syndrome has recently been discovered and isolated among numerous pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. But today, scientists have identified the main degree of development of this disease. If a person develops the first or spastic degree of the disease, pain diarrhea or constipation replacing it is noted. The two described signs of this degree periodically replace each other. This degree of damage to the body occurs in a patient with an incorrect diet. Excreted from the body fecal masses may contain in its composition a certain amount of mucus-like secretions.
The pain arising from the act of emptying can be aching in nature, and can manifest itself spastic, being felt in the lower part of the abdomen. Painful sensations manifest themselves in the form of attacks of various strengths. In some cases, the pain is permanent. Often, with a given degree of development in a patient with irritable bowel syndrome, the following may occur:
- Severe fatigue
- Enhanced gas formation
- Causeless alarm,
- Loss of attention.
- With the act of defecation, the seizures of the arisen pain often subside.
For the second degree of development of the described syndrome is characterized by the appearance of painless diarrhea. Sometimes the formation of constipation, not causing pain to the person. After another person intake of a certain amount of food, sudden diarrhea may occur. At the same time, it can be characterized by a rather stormy manifestation, and sometimes it can overtake the patient immediately after awakening. In some such cases, those suffering from this syndrome simply did not have time to reach the toilet, as there was a rather strong urge for diarrhea. Many patients had severe bouts of pain and bloating with accompanying constipation. Both degrees of development of irritable bowel syndrome affect workers of working age to the same extent. In this case, a person breaks plans and feels sore. Why does this syndrome occur?
At night, diarrhea does not appear quite often.
Some drugs can cause IBS
The development of irritable bowel syndrome in humans can be triggered by various factors. As already mentioned, most often this syndrome is found in women, rather than in the male body.Often, the appearance of this syndrome in the body makes it quite vulnerable to environmental factors. The main factors that lead to the appearance of irritable bowel syndrome in humans are:
- Hormonal drugs
- Severe stress
- Improper nutrition
- Other annoying factors.
Especially often, irritable bowel syndrome can worsen during a strong strain of the body or a person experiencing various kinds of emotional conflicts. All this is the cause of depression in the body. Manifestation of causeless anxiety also contributes to the progression of pain in the body from the development of irritable bowel syndrome.
Many categories of people suffer pains arising from this malady in different ways. Some suffer a lot and complain of pain, while others practically do not suffer from these manifestations of the disease. Although in the first and in the second case, the patients experienced severe stress and the emergence of emotional conflict situations. What is the reason for such a different feeling of pain in two categories of people, scientists are not yet clear.
By worsening, irritable bowel syndrome can lead to increased pain arising from the reduction of digestive organs and tissues. Pain is not only intensified, but also greatly increased. For this reason, the process of passing food through the small intestine is significantly accelerated, which causes diarrhea. In medical practice, cases are described where this disease caused convulsive pain as a result of the strongest contractions of the muscle layer of the large intestine together with an increase in the receptor sensitivity of the nerve endings located in a given area. If the patient leads an active lifestyle, then the exacerbation of this syndrome is guaranteed. Sometimes the emerging pains contributed even to the awakening of the patient.
Improper diet also contributes to the development of human irritation in the intestines. Many believe that eating a large amount of fatty foods, rich in calories, can develop this disease. At the same time, this syndrome can aggravate flour products, citrus fruits, tea, dairy products and excessive consumption of coffee.
What category of products most leads to the emergence of this disease in humans is not yet established by scientists.
People suffering from the manifestations of the described syndrome in most cases are considered healthy. Exactly! When examining a patient, the attending doctor, for the most part, does not find significant deviations and changes in the body. Although a person calls all the signs of manifestation of his irritable bowel. Very rarely, a doctor may focus on the pain that is felt in the large intestine. After that, he sends the patient to the laboratory for testing and biomaterial feces. Based on their data, a patient is prescribed a sigmoidoscopy. Thanks to her, the doctor makes a differentiation in the patient of the described syndrome affecting the intestine, and also notes the presence of inflammation in this area. In this case, the doctor may note other symptoms of the disease, leading to a feeling of abdominal pain. In some cases, the patient may vary in feces.
Based on the results obtained, most often positive and fully compliant with the norms of a healthy person, the doctor does not always establish this diagnosis. Even watery feces do not always indicate the manifestation of this syndrome in humans. The sigmoidoscopy procedure is based on research of the sigmoid colon using medical instruments of flexible fiber-optic composition. This category of tools can cause pain and cramps in a person. In some cases, the patient is prescribed an ultrasound examination, which is conducted to identify this pathology. The abdominal cavity, which is investigated using ultraviolet rays, is studied in detail by a doctor and an appropriate diagnosis is made.
In women, IBS is more common than in men.
The method of treatment in humans of irritable bowel syndrome is based on an individual approach to each. The doctor often recommends that the patient avoid factors that may lead to the progression of the disease. The man himself begins to monitor and take care of his own health. To get rid of the body from the manifestations of constipation, the patient is prescribed a long and frequent exercise. Thanks to them, fecal masses will not accumulate in the body and the muscular wall of the intestine will begin to work more actively.
In the mandatory degree of patients prescribed to maintain proper nutrition. It is thanks to him that the work of the digestive system can be fully normalized. People suffering from the manifestations of the described syndrome should not eat foods such as cabbage and beans. They stimulate the development of aggravation of irritation in humans. You should not eat a lot of sorbitol. Sorbitol is an artificial sugar that is added to dietary products. In addition to them, this compound converges into the composition of many drugs and chewing gums. It should limit the consumption of fructose, which is contained in fruits, plants and berries. If the patient cannot without these products, they should be consumed in small portions.
Many people sit on diets that limit the consumption of fatty foods. Many people are advised to limit their intake of fermented milk products, as they can cause a lactase deficiency in a patient. Sometimes it is the lack of this compound that can be combined with the disease and aggravate it. Eating a significant amount of food of plant origin helps to rid the body of constipation. In addition, it is recommended to use bran in the food, drinking them down with a large amount of liquid. This should be done with food.
Good help with constipation plantain seeds. They should be taken along with some water. But they should not be abused, as the plant fibers contained in them can cause bloating.
The attending physician necessarily prescribes the patient receiving special medicines. This disease is completely treated without surgery, which has a positive effect on the general state of health. Observing all the prescriptions and prescriptions of the attending physician can in a short time get rid of the pains that accompany this ailment. You can not resort to self-treatment and independently prescribe to take medicine for the disease. This can trigger the development of other pathologies in the body.
Irritable bowel syndrome - a disease of young women? About this - in the video:
Natural Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
It is important to understand that IBS is completely different from another state, which sounds very similar, namely: inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Inflammatory bowel disease is an autoimmune disease that can have very serious consequences.
But irritable bowel syndrome, despite the fact that it can cause debilitating pain, is a disorder of bowel function.
In other words, there are no significant physical conditions that can contribute to this problem, therefore, it is a functional disease.
So, how do you know that you have IBS?
Common signs and symptoms include frequent:
- Discomfort and / or abdominal pain
- Spastic colitis (spastic colon contraction)
- Increased gas production
Fortunately, there are a few simple basic strategies that you can use as an alternative to prescribed medications, such as antispasmodics and antidepressants.
These drugs can control the symptoms, but do nothing to eliminate the root cause.
Avoid all sources of gluten.
The first step for any patient who comes to my clinic with this problem is to go on a gluten-free diet.
Most people understand what it means to avoid all types of wheat, but it is also important to know that there are many other hidden sources of gluten in your diet.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, but it is also found in other grains, such as:
As a rule, giving up gluten for just a week or two is enough to see a significant improvement.
In addition to gluten, food allergies can also play a role, so pay attention to this and by trial and error figure out what you have.
Get tested for parasites.
Another strategy to help determine if a problem is in a physical condition that could imitate IBS is fecal analysis for the presence of parasites. Some parasites, such as giardia, can sometimes be a factor that needs to be treated.
Adjust your diet to your personal biochemistry.
Naturally, you need to pay close attention to your diet. Some people feel great on low-carb, high-protein and high-fat diets.
A typical ratio for a carbohydrate-type diet is 40 percent protein and 30 percent fat and carbohydrates each, but the numbers can easily go up to 50 percent fat and only 10 percent carbohydrate, depending on the individual genetic needs.
On the contrary, a diet high in carbohydrates, low in fat and low in protein is required. (However, it is important to understand that there is a big difference between vegetable carbohydrates and cereal carbohydrates, although they are both called carbohydrates.
Grain turns into sugar, which not everyone needs in the diet in large quantities.
Others fall into the middle ground between the protein and carbohydrate types and can afford to be less strict with the ratios of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
It is important to understand that if you eat improperly, you are likely to suffer from health problems, and spastic colitis is one of the scenarios.
Part of food typing is attention to food quality.
It is necessary to consume high-quality unprocessed food.
Remember that 90 percent of the money spent on food, intended for the processing of products. When you choose such products, you may experience physical complications, and there is nothing surprising in the fact that one of these complications may be in your intestines.
Increase the number of healthy bacteria in the intestines.
It is also important to ensure that you have enough healthy bacteria in the intestines. You can get healthy bacteria from fermented foods or high-quality supplements.
As soon as you reduce the amount of sugar and processed foods in your diet, you automatically create an environment that will support the growth of good bacteria and reduce the growth of bad bacteria. But you can enhance this process even more by consuming fermented foods or taking high-quality probiotic.
Take the fiber.
Fiber supplement can also be very helpful in controlling IBS symptoms such as constipation and diarrhea. Fiber, such as Psylyum is generally particularly beneficial, and is my personal favorite. I use it almost every day.
Psyllium is an adaptogenic fiber. This means that if you have constipation, it will soften your stools and help increase the frequency of bowel movements, and if you have diarrhea and frequent bowel movements, it will help with the formation of a chair and reduce the frequency of bowel movements.
If you decide to use psillum, make sure it is organic, since almost all of the products sold today are not usually those, and the damage from pesticide residues in most products far exceeds the advantage that you get from the fiber itself. Metamucil is a classic inorganic psyllium.
Another good fiber is whole, organic flax seed. You can take a few tablespoons of freshly baked flaxseed per day.
Another advantage of flax is that it is also a high-quality source of vegetable omega-3 fats, especially ALA, which almost everyone needs regularly.
Address emotional issues.
Last but not least, I found that many people with IBS have an unresolved emotional component that contributes to their physical problem.
This is also one of the reasons why antidepressants are often prescribed.
Prayer and psychological methods and tools such as technique of emotional freedom (EFT) are strategies you can use to effectively solve your emotional problems.
Spread of the disease
The irritable bowel syndrome described in this material in children and adults is observed in about 7-10% of the population of our planet. As for the countries of the Old World, then every fifth inhabitant has a pathology.
In addition, it should be noted that the representatives of the weaker sex are approximately twice as often exposed to the pathology in question.
The average age of patients seeking treatment is 25-40 years.
Factors affecting the occurrence of a violation
In some cases, irritable bowel syndrome, the symptoms of which are described above, appears more often. This is influenced by certain subjective and objective reasons listed below.
- Genetic predisposition. The risk group includes persons whose close relatives have previously been diagnosed with this pathology. In addition, the occurrence of a disorder is often diagnosed in twins, developing from a single ovum. All this leads to the conclusion about the genetic nature of the disease.
- Psychological disorders. A depressed state of a person, constantly haunting his anxiety, disturbed sleep patterns, hysterical and mental abnormalities, can provoke irritable bowel syndrome. Research in this area shows that the disease often develops in people who have previously been affected by physical or mental abuse, sexual harassment, and the like.
- Muscular dysfunction of the rectum. This condition, which leads to the appearance of the described symptoms, occurs after eating on the background of a stressful condition due to the suppression of the myoelectric activity of the colon fibers.
- Visceral hyperalgesia. This term refers to the reduction of the pain threshold below the level required by the body or a decrease in the intensity of pain perception. As a result - irritable bowel syndrome. The treatment in this case is somewhat different; it requires the elimination of the factors causing the pathology.
- Traumatic effects on the gastrointestinal tract or its defeat by various infections. As a result of such external influences, a situation may arise when discomfort and pain in the colon appears. They are a sign of the pathology discussed above. Irritable bowel syndrome and sphincter Oddi dysfunction are diagnosed in about 30% of people who have previously had an intestinal infection.
- The effect of hormones. Symptoms of a violation often occur in women in the period of menstrual bleeding, when the natural balance of the usual hormonal balance changes in the body.
As mentioned above, the symptoms accompanying irritable bowel syndrome are very similar to many diseases of the stomach and small intestine. Therefore, the main difficulty of diagnosis is to distinguish between these two states.
When diagnosing, it is necessary to take into account the entire complex of external symptoms that make up the clinical picture of IBS: abdominal pain, frequency and consistency of stool, and so on. By the way, the presence of this particular type of pathology is evidenced by other signs that at first glance are not related to the digestive system:
- a lump in the throat,
- absence or sleep disturbance
- lack of oxygen
- frequent urination,
- sensation of tinnitus
- general weakness of the body
- dryness in the mouth.
Methods for establishing signs of disease
Diagnosis of IBS consists of two main stages:
- Establishing the history of the disease (symptoms preceding the appearance of pain in the intestines).
- Direct research (includes many different medical techniques).
The information provided by the first stage is collected during the conversation with the patient. It is necessary to clarify the severity and frequency of pain in the area of the colon, the name and quantity of foods consumed, mental state, as well as previously taken medications.
When a patient has blood inclusions in the faeces, body temperature is elevated, a decrease in body weight is observed - most likely, it will be a question of a particular disease of the gastrointestinal tract, and not CPTR.
During a direct examination, palpation of the patient’s abdominal cavity reveals an increased muscle tone in the anterior wall.
Ways to distinguish between types of pathologies
Irritable bowel syndrome and disorders associated with the gastrointestinal tract can be divided according to some so-called dangerous signs. If they are available, there is no need to talk about SRTK.
Let's stop on the main ones:
- the emergence of the first cases of discomfort and pain in patients whose age exceeds 50 years,
- constant increased body temperature
- the presence of malignant (cancerous) tumors in close relatives of the patient,
- the appearance of blood in the feces,
- disorder of the gastrointestinal tract at night,
- weight loss for no apparent reason
- Changes detected during the human blood test,
- polyfecal (abnormally large excretion of feces from the body).
For a more accurate diagnosis, many additional medical procedures are performed: blood tests, fecal masses, colonoscopy. The latter is particularly relevant in old age, as it allows to identify and remove the formation of a different nature in the colon.
When conducting a survey of women, additional consultation with a gynecologist is recommended.
СРТК and pathologies not related to the gastrointestinal tract
In addition, during the diagnosis, it is necessary to distinguish the violation in question from other diseases not related to gastrointestinal dysfunctions. These include:
1. Chronic inflammatory and infectious diseases. Examples include Crohn's disease, giardiasis, ulcerative colitis, tumors, ischemic colitis, and chronic pancreatitis.
2. Pathologies associated with the normal functioning of the endocrine system of the body. Disorders of the endocrine glands cause diabetes mellitus of varying severity, some forms of which have the same external signs as IBS.
3. Chronic impairment caused by constant exposure to external dietary factors: constant consumption of fatty foods, abuse of alcohol and coffee, carbonated drinks, a sharp change in the usual diet.
4. The impact of pharmacological agents. The symptoms of IBS are often similar to the side effects that occur with long-term use of antibacterial drugs, laxatives, mineral complexes containing potassium, iron, calcium and other elements.
There are several different areas of therapy used to eliminate irritable bowel syndrome. Treatment with folk remedies, nutrition, drug therapy - a specific method of exposure is determined individually, taking into account the pathogenesis of the violation.
Regardless of the technique used, treatment should be aimed at achieving the following goals:
- normalize food intake,
- restore the permanent composition of microorganisms, whose habitat is the human colon,
- normalize the processes of digestion and absorption of beneficial elements through the intestinal walls,
- stabilize the psycho-emotional state of a person
- ensure the reception of a sufficient amount of vitamins and trace elements necessary for the body,
- bring to normal the process of bowel movements.
Impact without drugs
Consider specific therapies to eliminate irritable bowel syndrome. Diet in this case is one of the most preferred ways.
When diagnosing IBS, it is necessary to abandon the use of various smoked meats, alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, and products that cause the formation of a large amount of gases. Fruits, vegetables and dairy products affect the intestines favorably. It is also recommended to eat meat and fish cooked in a double boiler.
Specific recommendations for food consumed vary depending on the types of CPTR: with diarrhea or constipation.
With a liquid stool, it is necessary to supplement the diet with jelly, cereals from various types of cereals, macaroni, and potatoes. Absolutely contraindicated vegetables, consisting of coarse vegetable fibers, fruits, peas and beans, hot spices, fresh pastries, raw milk, wine, kvass, beer and carbonated sugary drinks.
During problems with emptying it is recommended to consume buckwheat porridge, dried apricots, prunes, baked apples. It is better to replace sugar with any analogues. Well helps seaweed, bran, vegetable oil.
Naturally, it is not recommended to eat foods that are used to combat diarrhea.
In addition to nutrition, moderate physical exercises, walks and other physical activity help to normalize the work of the colon.
In particularly difficult cases, or when the violation becomes neglected, coping with the symptoms of IBS is possible only with the use of certain drugs. In this case, the treatment is divided into several phases.
1. Getting rid of bowel pain. For this purpose, various antispasmodic drugs are used ("No-Shpa", "Meverin", etc.).
2. Fighting diarrhea. Best of all help drugs containing loperamide ("Imodium", "Lopedium", etc.). It reduces the appearance of loose stools due to the effect of the active substance on intestinal motility. This allows you to increase the time of passage of food through the intestines, improves the absorption of fluid and electrolytes. In addition, the activity of the sphincter increases, which helps to retain in the intestine fecal masses. The dose of drugs containing loperamide is selected individually by a doctor.
3. Elimination of constipation. In this case, it is advisable to opt for medicines that are of plant origin. Well help drugs containing in one form or another psyllium seeds. There are many popular councils.
4. Separately, treatment of the disorder is performed in patients who suffer from IBS caused by psychological disorders. The treatment is carried out exclusively under the supervision of a specialist, antidepressants or various inhibitors are used.
Above, the symptoms accompanying irritable bowel syndrome, treatment, the diet recommended for it, and other ways of getting rid of the disease have been described.
However, it should be noted that, like any other violation, IBS requires the obligatory appeal for consultation to the appropriate specialist who will diagnose and prescribe specific treatment methods. Only in this case, the fight against the disease will be successful and will not harm the body.